Sibal inaugurates Indo-US Engineering Education ConclaveJanuary 10th, 2011 - 10:36 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 10 (ANI): Union Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal inaugurated the Indo-US Engineering Education Conclave here on Monday.
Giving an address on the subject “Universities for the 21st Century: Promoting Innovation and Education”, Sibal said: “The emerging meta-university, built on the power and ubiquity of the Web and launched by the open courseware movement, will give teachers and learners everywhere the ability to access and share teaching materials, scholarly publications, scientific works in progress, tele-operation of experiments, and worldwide collaborations, thereby achieving economic efficiencies and raising the quality of education through a global endeavor.”
Sibal underlined that there is a need to toss out the old industrial model of pedagogy of how learning is accomplished and replace it with a new model called collaborative learning. He said,
“In the industrial model of ‘mass production’, the teacher is the broadcaster. Broadcast learning may have been appropriate for that era, economy and generation, but increasingly it is failing to meet the needs for a new generation of students who are now entering the new global knowledge economy,” said Sibal.
“For universities of 21st century to succeed, I believe they need to cooperate to launch a movement of sharing and partnering in stages for course content exchange; course content collaboration; course content co-innovation; knowledge co-creation; and collaborative learning connection,” he added.
Department of Higher Education Secretary Vibha Puri Das and Department of Science and Technology Secretary T. Ramasami also addressed the two-day conclave.
The conclave is deliberating on subjects such as leadership and management of engineering educational institutions, challenges being faced by Indian and US engineering institutions as also possible collaborative programmes and activities. (ANI)
- India undertapped as US student destination: Study - Nov 04, 2011
- Meta university by next year: Sibal - Feb 03, 2012
- Wipro to train school teachers in US - Aug 29, 2012
- IGNOU-KVS sign MoU for teachers training - Mar 14, 2011
- Manipal group e-learning platform wins innovative award - Jan 23, 2012
- Innovation a game-changer, must focus on poverty: PM - Nov 15, 2011
- Google better at advising teachers than Scotland's curriculum body - Nov 06, 2010
- India, US to broaden knowledge partnership (Lead) - Oct 14, 2011
- IGNOU offers online courses on sustainable science - Mar 29, 2012
- UAE students to get study material on BlackBerry phones - Feb 23, 2011
- 'IGNOU has brought teachers-students closer' - Jan 09, 2011
- Online professional development helps teachers, students - Aug 17, 2010
- Sibal advocates higher pay for teachers (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- $35 tablet to be launched in October: Sibal - Sep 28, 2011
- Vodafone Foundation to provide education in 1,000 schools - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: content exchange, department of higher education, department of science and technology, development minister, economic efficiencies, education secretary, engineering institutions, global endeavor, global knowledge economy, human resource development, industrial model, kapil sibal, knowledge co, leadership and management, meta university, open courseware, promoting innovation, scholarly publications, technology secretary, vibha