Shutdown affects normal life in West BengalNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:08 am ICT by admin
Several private educational institutions remained closed in the wake of the shutdown. The Information Technology (IT) sector was exempted from the shutdown.
According to reports, the train services were affected at various places of Sealdah and Howrah division.
There were reports of rail blockades from Hooghly and South 24 Parganas district.
“The protestors obstructed road and rail traffic at different places but there was no report of any untoward incident till 9 a.m.,” said Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Raj Kanojia.
Tight security arrangements have been made to avoid any untoward incident.
Armed police and the Rapid Action Force (RAF) have been pressed into service at the Hazra crossing area in the city.
The protestors are demanding that peace be restored in Nandigram, which has been witnessing sporadic clashes between the activists of the CPI-M and the Trinamool Congress over land acquisitions.
At least three persons were killed and several others injured in a bomb blast in Nandigram on October 27. There were also clashes between BUPC activists and CPM supporters in which one person died.
Sporadic clashes between rival groups have continued despite the State government’s decision against the setting up of a chemical hub in the area in the face of protests from a section of the people there. (ANI)
- Shutdown affects normal life in West Bengal (Lead: West Bengal shutdown) - Nov 14, 2007
- BJP's Bengal strike gets partial response, activists run amok (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- Five years on, Nandigram feels forgotten and betrayed - Jan 03, 2012
- Shutdown hits train traffic in Odisha - May 31, 2012
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Intellectuals flay Mamata for Nandigram 'injustice' - Nov 10, 2011
- Buses damaged, trains movement disrupted in Bengal (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Shutdown affects normal life in Assam - Aug 27, 2012
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Second lead) - May 31, 2012
- Anti-price rise strike paralyses life in several states (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2010
- BJP shutdown cripples life in West Bengal (Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011
- Bus set on fire, train movement partially hit in Bengal - May 31, 2012
- Telangana shutdown hits normal life - Jul 22, 2011
- GJM supporters go on rampage in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: activists, CPI, land acquisitions, private buses, private educational institutions, protestors, rapid action, rival groups, shutdown, sporadic clashes, traffic, trinamool congress, untoward incident