Shut-down in Assam’s North Cachar Hills DistrictApril 12th, 2009 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
North Cachar Hills (Assam), Apr 12 (ANI): A day long shut-down is being observed in Assam’s North Cachar Hills District today in protest of the recent incidents of violence by the Dima Halam Daogah (Black Widow) militants.
The shut-down, which started at 6 a.m. today, has been called by several organisations including the All Dimasa Students Union.
According to reports, the DHD Black Widow militants, who claim to fight for safeguarding the identity of the Dimasa tribe, on Saturday evening, had lobbed a grenade in the Halflong town.
However, there was no causality.
The same militant outfit had attacked a goods train between Langting and Disaobra railway stations in Cachar Hill district on Saturday.An Assam Police battalion soldier was injured in the incident.
Also, in a separate incident on Saturday morning, a Karbi militant and a civilian were killed in an encounter between the militants and the Army near Dakomoka of Karbi Anglong District.
During the same time in adjacent North Cachar Hills District, a separate group of militants belonging to the Dimasa ethnic group had fired indiscriminately at a goods train coming from Lumding to Badarpur.
However, there were no causalities as the drivers’ cabin was bulletproof.Train movement on the Lumding-Badarpur hill section has been suspended since Saturday following threat from militants. (ANI)
- Blast rocks Assam ahead of Republic Day, train derailed - Jan 25, 2011
- Assam's stranded train passengers evacuated - Jun 29, 2012
- Militant, civilian killed in Assam encounter - Apr 11, 2009
- DNRF militant nabbed in Assam - Mar 21, 2012
- Passenger train derails in Assam, militant hand suspected (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Parts of northeast cut-off as train services suspended - Oct 10, 2011
- Night train services resume in terror-hit section of northeast - Oct 21, 2009
- Council head arrested, Assam recommends suspension of autonomous body - May 31, 2009
- Landslides disrupt rail services to Northeast - Jun 04, 2012
- Assam asked to step up security in terror-hit region - May 28, 2009
- 40 houses of tribals torched in southern Assam - Jun 09, 2009
- Forces kill four militants in pre-dawn Assam raid - Jun 23, 2012
- Successive shutdowns disrupt life in northeast - Jan 22, 2011
- Train services resume in terror-hit south Assam - Jun 04, 2009
- 10 bombs found on Assam railway bridge - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: assam police, black widow, cachar, causality, dima, encounter, ethnic group, goods train, grenade, north cachar hills, organisations, police battalion, railway stations, recent incidents, saturday evening, saturday morning, soldier, students union, train movement, tribe