Shri Amarnath Yatra suspended from JammuJune 24th, 2009 - 10:59 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 24 (ANI): The ongoing Shri Amarnath Yatra had to be suspended from Jammu base camp on Wednesday due to a large number of devotees stranded at transit base camp at Baltal.
Over 15,000 pilgrims are stranded at the transit camp.
According to police officials in Jammu, “No batch was allowed to Baltal base camp from here today. The yatra was suspended as there is a heavy rush of stranded devotees at Baltal.”
Over 2,700 pilgrims have been left waiting for resumption of the Yatra at Jammu base camp in Bhagwati Nagar due to the suspension.
Jammu and Kashmir government and Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) has set up three base camps at Bhagwati Nagar in Jammu, at Nunwan in Pahalgam and at Baltal to arrange for boarding and lodging facilities to pilgrims visiting cave shrine.
While, Jammu base camp facilitates boarding and lodging for over 20,000 pilgrims at a time, Baltal and Nunwan can house over 5,000 pilgrims at a time.
About 70,000 pilgrims have paid obeisance at the 3888 mt Amarnath cave shrine till now.
On Tuesday, a high level team headed by SASB Chief Executive Officer B B Viyas carried out an aerial survey of the traditional Pahalgam route to take a final decision on opening of the route, which has been covered with snow for last few days, to the pilgrims.
The team has submitted its report on resumption of yatra via traditional Pahalgam route to Governor N N Vohra. (ANI)
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath yatra suspended for third consecutive day - Jun 18, 2009
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: aerial survey, amarnath cave, base camps, chief executive officer, devotees, final decision, heavy rush, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, june 24, kashmir, lodging facilities, obeisance, pahalgam, pilgrims, resumption, sasb, shrine board, transit camp, yatra