Shortage of 14,448 officers in Army, Navy and Air ForceMarch 10th, 2010 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 10 (ANI): The Armed Forces are no more considered a viable career option and implementation of the Sixth Pay Commission to make the Services more attractive has not been able to reduce the shortage of 14,448 officers in the Army, the Navy and the Air Force.
The Defence Ministry which is engaged in the task of making a career in the Armed Forces more attractive is not successful in reducing the shortage of officers..
“There has been shortage of officers in the Armed Forces. The shortage of officers in the Army is around 11,500 and in the Navy, the shortage is 1606. The number of vacancies in Air Force is 1342,” Defence Minister AK Antony said on Wednesday.
“The shortage is partly attributable to accretions in the Armed Forces from time to time, tough selection procedures, difficult service conditions coupled with perceived high degree of risk involved in service career,” he said in Rajya Sabha.
Antony said that a number of steps have been taken to attract the talented youth to join the defence forces.
“All officers including those in Short Service Commission (SSC) are now eligible to hold substantive rank of Captain, Major and Lieutenant Colonel after two, six and 13 years of reckonable service respectively. The tenure of SSC officers has been increased from 10 to 14 years,” the Defence Minister said.
“A total number of 750 posts of Lt. Colonel have been upgraded to Colonel towards implementation of AV Singh Committee Report (Phase-I).
“Further, 1896 additional posts in the ranks of Colonel, Brigadier, Major General and Lieutenant General and their equivalents in the other two Services have been upgraded towards implementation of AV Singh Committee Report (Phase-II),” he added. (ANI)
- Armed forces facing a shortage of 15,004 officers, says Antony - Mar 07, 2011
- Armed forces short of 14,448 officers: Antony - Mar 10, 2010
- Indian Army short of 12,500 officers: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- No discernible decreasing trend in number of officers in Army: Antony - Dec 01, 2010
- Armed forces faces shortage of nearly 15000 officers - Jul 15, 2009
- Armed forces short of 14,299 officers: Antony - Jul 15, 2009
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Armed Forces facing shortage of 13,830 officers - Oct 20, 2008
- To plug officer shortage, Indian Army to open Bihar academy - Jun 17, 2011
- Armed forces short of 13,380 officers: Antony - Oct 20, 2008
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Army considering women officers' promotion. court told (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- Senior Indian Navy post upgraded - Apr 07, 2011
- (VM) Indian Air Force ahead with over 10 percent women officers - Aug 22, 2012
- No combat role for women in armed forces: Antony - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: antony, army navy, brigadier, captain major, committee report, defence forces, defence minister, defence ministry, degree of risk, lieutenant colonel, lieutenant general, lt colonel, rajya sabha, report phase, selection procedures, service career, ssc, substantive rank, talented youth, viable career option