Shiv Sena attacks Pune theatre, stops screening of KannadaJanuary 21st, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
Pune, Jan.21 (ANI): Agitated over an attack on Marathi speaking people in Karnataka, Shiv Sena activists stopped the screening of a Kannada film here on Wednesday.
They also damaged the property of the Ratan Chitra Mandir, which was screening the film.
Tension first surfaced on January 16, during the Karnataka Assembly session in Belgaum, which borders Maharashtra. The BJP Government banned a parallel legislature assembly session by the Maharashtra Ekikaran Samithi (MES), which led to a war of words between leaders of both states.
The dispute took a turn for the worse after Karnataka police caned Marathi-speaking people in Belgaum on January 18. In retaliation, Marathi speaking protestors set three buses belonging to Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) on fire.
The protestors said they were demonstrating against the atrocities being committed on Marathi speaking people in Karnataka.
We have stopped the screening of a Kannada film here and we will not allow the screening of any other Kannada film in future because of the damage that has been inflicted to the dignity of Marathi people,” said Bharatiya Vidyarthi Sena District president Ajay Shinde.
Last year, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS), unleashed a similar campaign against north Indians, especially on people of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.(ANI)
- Pro-Maharashtra party ruled Belgaum civic body dissolved - Dec 15, 2011
- Thackerays seek urgent end to Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary row - Dec 19, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray meets president on row over Belgaum - Dec 20, 2011
- Declare Belgaum union territory, demands Maharashtra - Dec 16, 2011
- Maharashtra wants Belgaum to be declared union territory (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Maharashtra locks horns with Karnataka on boundary row - Jul 13, 2012
- Dismissed Belgaum council members seek Thackeray's support - Jul 08, 2012
- Chavan meets Sonia on Ambedkar memorial, Belgaum - Dec 30, 2011
- Maharashtra assembly supports Marathi-speaking people of Karnataka - Apr 12, 2012
- Maharashtra parties fume over boundary row - Jul 07, 2010
- Karnataka celebrates 55th formation day - Nov 01, 2010
- Karnataka legislature meets in Belgaum, pro-Maharashtra group protests - Jan 16, 2009
- Marathi speaking areas of Karnataka should be declared Union Territory: Chavan - Jul 13, 2010
- Chavan meets PM over Belgaum dispute (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 14, 2010
- Chavan meets PM over Belgaum dispute - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: activists, assembly session, atrocities, belgaum, bjp government, buses, chitra, dignity, district president, jan 21, kannada film, ksrtc, mandir, mns, protestors, retaliation, road transport, shiv sena, transport corporation, war of words