Shipping Ministry to file fresh affidavit in SC over Sethu Samundram issue:February 28th, 2008 - 9:20 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 28 (ANI): Union Culture Minister Ambika Soni on Thursday said that the Shipping Ministry would soon file a fresh affidavit in the Supreme Court over the issue of Sethu Samundram Canal Project (SSCP).
The cabinet committee has approved the draft affidavit to bore a major new shipping Lane, Sethusamudram Ship Canal, made by the group of ministers given an authorization to shipping ministry to file it. The shipping channel, a 100-km (60-mile) long, 300-metre (1000-feet) wide watery groove, will have to be dredged through that ridge, Soni told reporters here.
The Central Government will file its response to the objections on Friday despite opposition by Hindu groups who say it would destroy a rock and sand ridge built by the Lord Rama.
“The government should have honestly declared Ram Setu as our religious place and should declare it as our ancient monument,” Janta Party President Subramanium Swamy said.
It is expected that 560-million dollar SSCP will reduce ship journeys between the countrys western and eastern coasts by up to 36 hours.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has been opposing this proposal.
Besides religious objections, conservationists say the construction and increased traffic will kill whales and other marine life in the region, and harm fishermen’s livelihoods. (ANI)
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- Can Rama Sethu be made national monument, asks apex court - Mar 27, 2012
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- Union Govt. says Ram Sethu not a place of worship - Oct 14, 2008
- VHP rejects Governments claim that Lord Rama destroyed Ram Sethu - Jul 28, 2008
- BJP protests government''s recent deposition in court on Ram Setu - Jul 26, 2008
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Buddhadeb questions existence of Ram - Dec 07, 2007
Tags: ambika soni, ancient monument, bharatiya janata party, cabinet committee, canal project, culture minister, eastern coasts, hindu groups, lord rama, party president, ram setu, religious objections, religious place, sand ridge, sethusamudram, ship canal, shipping channel, shipping lane, subramanium, swamy