Shias protest baton charge on Muharram procession in SrinagarDecember 28th, 2009 - 8:30 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Dec 28 (ANI): A group of Shia Muslims took to the streets to protest the baton-charge by Jamu and Kashmir police on a Muharram procession here on Monday.
Religious processions have been banned in Jammu and Kashmir state since militancy broke out in 1989.
Several protestors bearing black banners shouted slogans against the Union Government, condemning the baton-charge.
Addressing the protestors Coordinator of the Anjuman Shari’e Shian Muhammad Shafi Hussani said : “When we tried to take out this procession from Lal Chowk, you must also have seen, they beat up these young boys, forced these children inside their vans and beat them and then locked them inside a jail. India claims to be one of the biggest democracy, is this what they call democracy?”
On Sunday, a group under the aegis of Anjuman Shari’e Shian took out a procession as part of the observance of Ashura, from Abi Guzar in Lal chowk area.
The Muharram procession marks the death and martyrdom of Prophet Mohammed’s grandson, Imam Hussain ibn Ali.
The martyrdom day of Imam Hussain is marked by prayers, processions and self-flagellation by many Muslims to mourn his death. (ANI)
- Muslim devotees mourn martyrdom of Imam Hussain - Dec 17, 2010
- Indian Muslims mark Muharram with mourning, processions - Dec 06, 2011
- Jammu-Kashmir Police use teargas to disperse Shi'ite procession on Muharram - Dec 26, 2009
- Muharram observed in West Bengal - Dec 06, 2011
- Seven injured in Srinagar baton charge - Dec 28, 2009
- Restrictions in some Srinagar areas to prevent trouble - Dec 06, 2011
- Religious zeal, communal amity marks Muharram in India (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2009
- One killed, 26 hurt in Peshawar blast - Dec 16, 2010
- Shia Muslims protest over ban on Muharram procession in Kashmir - Dec 21, 2009
- Muharram procession disallowed in Srinagar - Jan 08, 2009
- Thousands join Muharram processions across Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Mumbai's Muslims take out Muharram processions - Dec 06, 2011
- Shias take out mourning procession in Delhi - Feb 22, 2010
- Yaum-e-Ashura observed with procession in Hyderabad - Dec 28, 2009
- Muslims turn blood donors on Muharram in Lucknow - Dec 28, 2009
Tags: anjuman, ashura, guzar, hussain ibn ali, imam hussain, jammu, jamu, lal, martyrdom, muhammad shafi, muharram, procession, prophet mohammed, protestors, religious processions, self flagellation, shia muslims, shian, srinagar, union government