Shias in Kashmir celebrate EidNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:12 am ICT by admin
The rest of the people will be celebrating Eid on Sunday.
According to Shiite Muslims, the crescent (first day moon) for Eid-ul-Fitr was sighted in Kargil area of the State on Friday.
Dressed in new clothes, they swarmed mosques across Kashmir to offer prayers.
Eid, the biggest and most important holiday on the Islamic calendar, is traditionally celebrated for two days. Muslim clergy decides the date of Eid, on the basis of sighting of the moon.
Hundreds of thousands of Muslims flocked at mosques and worship-grounds where they offered Eid prayers.
As is customary, Muslims embraced each other and exchanged Eid greetings after the prayers.
“We offered namaz (prayers) today. We prayed to the almighty to help restore peace and happiness in the valley and bless us all,” said Nissar Ahmed, Shiite Muslim in Budgam.
Muslims believe Eid is not just a time of spiritual devotion and verbal expressions of love and brotherhood; it is also a time of religious unity when people from all religions and nationalities come together to share greetings. (ANI)
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Karnataka amid tight security - Aug 20, 2012
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Tamil Nadu - Sep 10, 2010
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Kerala - Aug 19, 2012
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
Tags: eid greetings, eid prayers, eid ul fitr, islamic calendar, kargil area, kashmir valley, leh, moon, mosques, muslim clergy, muslim community, namaz, peace and happiness, religious unity, share greetings, shias, shiite muslim, shiite muslims, spiritual devotion, verbal expressions