Sharad Yadav condoles Digvijay Singh’s deathJune 24th, 2010 - 6:50 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 24 (ANI): Janata Dal (United) president Sharad Yadav on Thursday condoled the death of former union minister and Lok Sabha member Digvijay Singh.
Singh died of a brain hemorrhage at a London hospital on Thursday.
Addressing a condolence meeting here, Yadav expressed sadness over Singh’s untimely demise and recalled his long association with the party.
“The political vacuum created due to Singh’s untimely death cannot be filled. He was associated with the party for a long time and had served the country on various posts during the NDA Government,” Yadav said.
Recalling his association with Singh as a parliamentarian and as a colleague in the NDA Government, the JD-U president said that the entire party is with the Singh family at this moment.
Prominent JD-U leaders like KC Tyagi, General Secretary Javed Raza, Delhi JD-U spokesperson Prabhat Ranjan and others also condoled the untimely death of Singh.
Singh was elected three times to the Lok Sabha in–1998, 1999, 2009 and twice to the Rajya Sabha in 1990 and 2004.
Singh, a former Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader, won the 2009 Lok Sabha election from the Banka constituency as an independent candidate.
He had served as a minister in the National Democratic Alliance Government led by Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Chandrashekhar-led Janata Government.
He also served as President of the National Rifle Association of India since 1999. (ANI)
- Former union minister Digvijay Singh passes away - Jun 24, 2010
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- Divided BJP discusses option of backing Sangma - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- Former union minister Digvijay Singh dies in London (Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012
- JD-U miffed about last minute news of NDA meet - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: alliance government, atal bihari vajpayee, brain hemorrhage, chandrashekhar, digvijay singh, independent candidate, janata, javed, lok sabha election, lok sabha member, london hospital, national democratic alliance, national rifle association, nda government, political vacuum, rajya sabha, ranjan, sharad yadav, tyagi, untimely demise