Shankarraman Murder Case: Five more witnesses turn hostileApril 22nd, 2010 - 5:49 pm ICT by ANI
Puducherry, Apr 22 (ANI): Five more prosecution witnesses on Thursday turned hostile in the Sankararaman murder case, during the trial in a local court here.
Kanchi Sankaracharya, Jayendra Saraswathi and junior seer Vijayendra Saraswathi are the prime accused in the case.
On September 3, 2004, Sankararaman, a manager of the Varadaraja Perumal Temple in Tamil Nadu’s Kancheepuram District, was murdered in the temple premises
Five of the eleven witnesses examined by Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss before Principal and District Sessions Judge D Krishnaraja contradicted their statements made earlier to the police.
Judge Krishnaraja has adjourned the hearing till Friday.
More witnesses could be examined at tomorrows hearing.
Of the 24 accused, only seven were present in court when the statements were recorded.
Of the 83 prosecution witnesses examined, 45 have turned hostile so far.
In October 2005, the Supreme Court had shifted the trial to Puducherry following a petition by Jayendra Saraswathi.
The case has attracted nation wide attention after Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa ordered the arrest of Jayendra Saraswathi. (ANI)
- Sankararaman murder: Court tells police to verify tape - Feb 27, 2012
- Kanchi Sankaracharya denies deal with judge - Aug 26, 2011
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Dec 18, 2008
- Madras High Court stays trial in Sankararaman murder case - Aug 25, 2011
- Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned - Nov 21, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Oct 24, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Aug 22, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned - Sep 24, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned - Aug 22, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Sep 24, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Jun 06, 2008
- Mudslinging over Madurai 'mutt' appointment - May 14, 2012
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Mar 14, 2008
- Pondicherry court to hear Sankaraman murder case today - Dec 30, 2008
- Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned till June 11 - Apr 28, 2009
Tags: chief minister, j jayalalithaa, jayendra saraswathi, kancheepuram, local court, murder case, perumal temple, petition, police judge, prosecution witnesses, public prosecutor, puducherry, sankararaman murder, seer, sessions, supreme court, tamil nadu, temple premises, varadaraja perumal