Shahrukh Khan, Rahul Gandhi dance on fingers of Lucknow girls on Karva ChauthNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:03 am ICT by admin
But unmarried girls did not want to be left out. Many of the unmarried girls here opted to engrave the names of Bollywood heart-throb Shahrukh Khan or the youth Congress leader Rahul Gandhi.
They made efforts to get Sharukh Khan and Rahul Gandhi ‘dance on their fingers’.
“On visiting this beauty parlour I learnt about the nail art. I got Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan on my nail. Now I shall make him dance on my fingers (she laughs). There are so many different designs to choose from and I have got even Rahul Gandhi (the young Congress leader) on one of my nails,” said Nupur, a customer.
These nail-art parlours and salons had brisk business during the festival with women thronging these in huge numbers to avail of the customised pictures on their nails.
“We are doing Zardosi (traditional Indian design work), Chikankari (another traditional Indian design work) kind of a thing on the nails. We are giving nets with beads, we are giving Swarovski crystals, practically everything,” said Renu Maran, owner of one such nail art saloon.
Ritual is that the married women would have their hands painted with Henna on Karva Chauth.
“This is my first Karva-Chauth and I want to surprise my husband. So, I have got the photograph of my husband on my nails,” said Priyanka, a newly-wed.
Married Hindu women observe Karva Chauth, the day of fasting without water, for the long life of their spouse. The fast, observed from sunrise to sunset, is broken only after moonrise. The day is spent in the company of the family members.
Hindus believe that if a woman fasts on the ‘Karva Chauth’ day her prayers for good health and long life of her spouse will be granted.
Bangle sellers and artists who paint herbal designs or henna do brisk business ahead of Karva Chauth.
Henna or Mehndi, considered auspicious for married woman, is part of the Karva Chauth ritual. And above all is the ‘Shringar’ that includes applying henna and additional embellishments to the woman’s makeup.
On this occasion, women receive gifts from their husbands . Exchange of sweets between mothers-in-law and daughters-in-law is an integral part of the festivities. (ANI)
- It's beauty parlours, henna designs for Karva Chauth - Oct 25, 2010
- Women go hi-tech, husbands join in Karva Chauth fast - Oct 15, 2011
- Karva Chauth - a fast catching trend - Oct 15, 2011
- All decked up, women celebrate Karva Chauth (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Karva Chauth continues to captivate Indian women (Lead) - Oct 07, 2009
- Women set for Karva Chauth celebrations - Oct 07, 2009
- Karva Chauth with a green cause - Oct 26, 2010
- Women all decked up, keep fast on Karwa Chauth - Oct 26, 2010
- Sushma Swaraj observes Karva Chauth - Oct 07, 2009
- From homes to BPOs, Karva Chauth spreads roots - Oct 17, 2008
- Mahashivaratri celebrated across India - Feb 20, 2012
- Twinkle's 'Blast Before The Fast' party on Karva Chauth - Oct 25, 2010
- Ritika Bhasin offers multi-purpose trousseau (With Images) - Feb 04, 2012
- Food for thought - before that Karva Chauth fast - Oct 13, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Maha Shivaratri with offerings, fasts and prayers - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: bollywood, chikankari, congress leader, fingers, henna, karva chauth, lucknow, nail art, nails, rahul gandhi, shahrukh khan, sharukh khan, swarovski crystals, traditional indian, unmarried girls