SGPC to send delegation to KashmirAugust 24th, 2010 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 24 (IANS) The Shiromani Gurudawara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) is to send a delegation to the Kashmir Valley to meet members of the Sikh community following anonymous letters asking them to embrace Islam or face dire consequences, an official said Tuesday.
A delegation of the SGPC, Amritsar, led by its president Avtar Singh Makkar, was scheduled to visit the valley Aug 20. But the plans were rescheduled after the community leaders in Kashmir said the SGPC team’s arrival in Srinagar could be “misinterpreted and complicate the situation”.
Makkar and his colleagues would now be visiting the valley in the next few days, sources close to the SGPC told IANS.
The SGPC leaders met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi on Monday.
Sikhs in the Valley have been feeling unsafe after some letters and posters of threat were issued there, asking them to join anti-India protests, embrace Islam or quit Kashmir.
A majority of the Muslim community and its mainstream and separatist leadership in the valley have described the letters as the “handiwork of miscreants”.
There are about 60,000 Sikhs in the valley, the largest minority in the valley of more than 5.5 million people.
Kashmiri Hindus or Pandits fled the valley en-masse in 1990s. More than 350,000 of them fled the valley and are settled in many cities and towns around the country, including Delhi. There are now less than 2,000 of them left in Kashmir.
- Protect Sikhs in Kashmir: BJP asks Omar Abdullah - Aug 25, 2010
- Avtar Singh Makkar re-elected SGPC chief - Nov 16, 2010
- Delhi Sikhs protest Kashmir threats - Aug 22, 2010
- Sikhs in Kashmir Valley feel unsafe: Community leaders - Aug 23, 2010
- SGPC seeks to meet Pakistan High Commissioner over attack on Pakistani Sikh advocate - Dec 17, 2009
- Sikh panel plans protest outside US embassy - Dec 14, 2010
- SGPC protests against turban frisking at international airports - Mar 25, 2011
- Badal seeks PM's intervention on Pakistan-based Sikh lawyer - Dec 21, 2009
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- Sikhs in Kashmir need not fear: Chidambaram - Aug 20, 2010
- Assure Indians of safety: Krishna to US (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
- Beheading of Sikh condemned by Pakistan, India (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2010
- SAD-BJP delegation seeks President Patil's intervention for Sikhs' safety in Kashmir - Aug 25, 2010
- Government vows to protect Kashmir Sikhs (Second lead) - Aug 20, 2010
Tags: anonymous letters, cities and towns, community leaders, delegation, handiwork, hindus, kashmir, kashmir valley, makkar, manmohan, manmohan singh, miscreants, muslim community, New Delhi, pandits, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sgpc, sikh community, sikhs