SGPC performs Akhand Paath in memory of Taliban-beheaded SikhsFebruary 25th, 2010 - 4:01 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar, Feb.25 (ANI): The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) the main body of the Sikhs, initiated a “Akhand Paath” (continued recitation) of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the holy scripture of the Sikhs at Golden Temple a the memory in the two Pakistani Sikhs brutally killed by the Taliban.
The Akhand Paath was started in the morning and the Bhog of the Paath would be held on Saturday. The SGPC urged the government to assure the safety of the Sikhs living in Pakistan.
Gurbachan Singh, Jathedar of the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs, told media persons here that the Indian government should hold talks with Pakistan for the early release of the other Sikhs abducted by the Taliban.
Jaswinder Singh, the Head Granthi of the Golden Temple, said that though it is an internal matter of Pakistan to provide security to its citizens, even if they belong to the minority, it was a matter of concern to the Sikh community. (ANI)
- Sikh community offers final prayers for two Sikhs beheaded in Pakistan - Feb 27, 2010
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Sikh bodies divided over change in Guru Tegh Bahadur martyrdom date - Nov 24, 2010
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Opposition mounts to Amitabh's plea on anti-Sikh riots - Dec 16, 2011
- Rajasthan Sikhs ask for a separate Gurdwara Management committee - Aug 13, 2009
- Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Dec 01, 2011
- Coronation of three Granthis performed at Golden Temple - Mar 01, 2009
- Akal Takht summons Sarna over his remarks against Phoolka - Jul 21, 2010
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- Assassin on death row wants to be baptized a Sikh - Dec 05, 2010
- Gurbachan Singh formerly appointed acting Jathedar of Akal Takht - Aug 07, 2008
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- Former Akal Takht Jathedar declared guilty of religious misconduct - Dec 05, 2009
Tags: abducted, akal takht, amritsar, golden temple, gurbachan singh, guru granth sahib, holy scripture, indian government, internal matter, jaswinder singh, media persons, paath, ravinder singh, recitation, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh community, sikhs, sri guru granth, taliban