SGPC issues 541 Sikh CalendarMarch 19th, 2009 - 8:34 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar March 19, (ANI): The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC), on Thursday issued 541 Nanak Shahi Calendar despite objections raised by many Sikh organisations.
Avtar Singh Makkar, the President SGPC and Jathedar Akal Takhat Gurbachan Singh unwrapped the Sikh Calendar and the Jantri (Calendar with Sikh festivals and other religious important dates) at the information office of SGPC.
The calendar depicts the picture of smashed building of Akal Takht in 1984 during the Operation Blue Star.
Talking to media Makkar said that a committee has been formed to build consensus in Sikh community for the full adoption of the Nanak Shahi Calendar.
He also informed that SGPC has sought suggestions from members of the Sikh community on the Nanakshahi calendar, which has been objected to by some Sikh organizations.
The NanakShahi calendar is a solar calendar that was adopted by the SGPC to determine the dates for important Sikh events and has been in use since 1999 by the SGPC by replacing the Vikrami calendar (of Hindus).
The name Nanakshahi Calendar derives its name from Guru Nanak, founder of Sikhism.
Makkar said that since the calendar has been issued by the Akal Takht it has become the duty Sikhs to observe and celebrate all the historic and religious occasions as per the Nanakshahi calendar.
The Nanakshahi Calendar was developed by a Canadian Sikh, Pal Singh Purewal, a retired computer engineer who started working for preparation of the new calendar in the 1960s.
- SGPC haste to amend NanakShahi calendar raises eyebrows - Jan 02, 2010
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Sikh bodies divided over change in Guru Tegh Bahadur martyrdom date - Nov 24, 2010
- SGPC sets up 10-member panel on Nanakshahi calendar - Nov 13, 2009
- Akal Takht approves changes in Nanakshahi calendar - Jan 04, 2010
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Sikh Diaspora objects as SGPC makes changes in NanakShahi Calendar - Jan 11, 2010
- Amended Sikh calendar released in Amritsar - Mar 14, 2010
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Dec 01, 2011
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Former Akal Takht Jathedar declared guilty of religious misconduct - Dec 05, 2009
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to reshape Golden temple's replica in Sangrur - Jun 21, 2009
Tags: akal takhat, akal takht, amritsar, avtar singh, computer engineer, gurbachan singh, guru nanak, makkar, nanakshahi calendar, purewal, ravinder singh, religious occasions, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh events, sikh festivals, sikh organisations, sikh organizations, sikhs, solar calendar