Sex workers walk ramp in West BengalMarch 8th, 2009 - 10:09 pm ICT by ANI
Siliguri, Mar 8 (ANI): Celebrating the International Women’’s Day, the sex workers in Siliguri walked the ramp on Sunday.
These women wanted to mark the occasion by raising their voices against the social curse on them.
These women reiterated the fact that poverty has compelled them to take up this profession and society should not ridicule them.
The North Bengal Art Academy, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) staged the fashion show wherein girls clad in colourful saris and bedecked in jewellery walked the ramp.
A couple of the participants expressed their fear of walking the ramp and also narrated their story of their dreams.
For the first time in my life, I participated in a dance show when I was in college. At that time I was not scared because my relatives, friends, principal and teachers were there with me. But I was a bit nervous here because I am alone and theres nobody here, said Swapna Patwardhan, a sex worker.
On its part, the host NGO awarded the participants after the show.
One of the volunteers of North Bengal Art Academy mentioned that the show was organised to depict the inner identity of the sex workers.
The objective behind this fashion show is to show the inner beauty of these women on the International Womens Day. Many among them have an aspiration to be film artistes and models, and accordingly we groomed them for this his fashion show, said Shomesh Ghosh, office bearer of North Bengal Art Academy, Siliguri. (ANI)
- Siliguri sex workers organize fashion show - Oct 26, 2010
- Beauty queens come together to celebrate womanhood - May 07, 2012
- Sex worker's life lights up the Fashion Week ramp - Feb 18, 2012
- Siliguri's budding designers showcase ethnic Indian outfits in fashion show - Nov 15, 2010
- Nepali hairstylist organises fashion show in Siliguri - Dec 19, 2010
- Indian designs, Bollywood dominate RFW opening day - May 25, 2012
- Nagpur sex workers catwalk in a fashion show - Dec 04, 2009
- Brett Lee to walk the ramp for Indian designer - Jun 17, 2011
- Siliguri sex workers demand equal status ahead of polls - Mar 24, 2011
- Little Bengal in a Mumbai school (With Images) - Jan 02, 2012
- From glamour to business, Rajasthan Fashion Week promises to be grand - May 23, 2012
- When Jamia Nagar women came out of burqas to showcase talent (With Images) - Mar 15, 2011
- Six showstoppers for Malini Agarwalla's accessory show - Mar 06, 2012
- Omani, Indian designers team up for a cause - Mar 01, 2012
- Kids gain confidence by showcasing talent: Sohail - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: art academy, aspiration, bedecked, dance show, fashion show, governmental organisation, inner beauty, inner identity, international women, international womens day, ngo, north bengal, office bearer, ramp, saris, sex worker, sex workers, siliguri, time in my life, west bengal