Sex workers in WB to boycott polls if their demands are not metApril 12th, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
Siliguri, Apr 12 (ANI): Complaining of neglect and subjugation by the mafia, police and political leaders, the sex workers in Siliguri district of West Bengal have united to boycott polls if their demands are not fulfilled.
More than 3,000 sex workers, who residing in the brothels of Siliguri, claim that they have been fighting for years for their recognition.
Since they never received any positive response, now they have given in unison call for ‘No Status, No Vote’ ahead of the elections.
“We have our problems. How to feed our children? How to pay our rent? If all demands not met, we will boycott polls. We have a huge association,” said Sikha Dutta, a sex worker.
Some of the sex workers even mentioned that they are fed up of the same empty promises made to them by the politicians of all hues before the elections.
“We being in the society never got any recognition from the government unlike other people. We are cursed. We also demand some respect,” said Shibani Karmakar, another sex worker.Although prostitution is illegal in India, it is a thriving profession. Voluntary groups estimate that there are about two million women sex workers living on the fringes of the society. (ANI)
- Siliguri sex workers demand equal status ahead of polls - Mar 24, 2011
- Promises of change: Sonagachi voters hoping against hope - Apr 24, 2011
- Tribal group calls for Bengal poll boycott - Apr 08, 2011
- At lit fests, I'm introduced as sex worker: Author Jameela - Dec 12, 2009
- Prostitutes give a thumbs-down to French brothel opening proposal - May 13, 2010
- Delhi sex workers challenge eviction order in court - Jul 26, 2012
- It's official! Sydney is the sex capital of Australia - Nov 12, 2010
- Designer label Rabani & Rakha pays tribute to beauty (With images) - Mar 21, 2011
- ID cards sought for sex workers - Sep 06, 2011
- Violent clashes, arson mark shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- There's no Indian language in art yet: Prokash Karmakar (With Images) - Dec 17, 2011
- 'Terrorists operating suicidal networks from Pak brothels' - Apr 11, 2011
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Sex workers strive to fight exclusion, discrimination - Jul 27, 2012
- AIIMS docs on hunger protest for physician's comeback - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: brothels, empty promises, fringes, hues, mafia, neglect, political leaders, politicians, polls, profession, prostitution, sex worker, sex workers, subjugation, two million, unison, voluntary groups, wb, west bengal, women sex