Seventh Light Cavalry to celebrate 225 years of its raisingFebruary 10th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb.10, (ANI): The second oldest and most decorated Armoured Regiment of the Indian Army, the 7th Light Cavalry would celebrate its 225th Raising Day from February 12 to February 14, 2009.
A galaxy of eminent dignitaries, including senior serving and retired officers, old British officers, retired Junior Commissioned Officers, other ranks and widows of martyred soldiers will be present on the occasion.
The regiment was launched in 1784 as the Nawab of Arcots Cavalry.
The regiment emerged as the most decorated of the Indian Army after the 1971 operations. It has 294 confirmed awards so far.
The regiment was named the Saviours of Srinagar by Sheikh Abdullah for its audacious and unconventional action in 1948 when on November 1, 1948, for the first time in the annals of armoured warfare in the world, tanks were decisively employed at the height of 11,578 ft, a feat unparalleled to this day. This led to the recapture of a pass from the Pakistanis. (ANI)
- Relatives suspect foul play in army jawan's suicide - Aug 10, 2012
- President presents standards to five tank regiments - Nov 27, 2011
- President's standards for five tank regiments - Nov 21, 2011
- Commonwealth mascot Shera, MBT Arjun to be 61st Republic Day attractions - Jan 26, 2010
- Army standoff in Kashmir blown out of proportion: PM - Aug 09, 2012
- India remembers hero of 1947 Pakistan war - Jul 15, 2012
- Indian Army's armoured regiment honoured - Oct 01, 2011
- US troops to celebrate Holi with Indian Army - Feb 27, 2012
- President to present Colours to five-T 90 regiments - Oct 01, 2010
- Five armoured corps regiments to get President colours - Oct 18, 2010
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of Battle of Basantar (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- India's military might and cultural heritage find voice at 61st Republic Day - Jan 26, 2010
- Indian soldiers' sacrifices in liberating Haifa remembered - Sep 24, 2010
- President Patil awards 'Colours' to five armoured corps regiments - Oct 19, 2010
- D.K. Joshi is new navy chief - Jun 05, 2012