Seven killed during Maoist attack on CRPF bus in Jharkhand districtApril 15th, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Lathear (Jharkhand), Apr.15 (ANI): Seven people, including five Maoist rebels, were killed during an attack on a CRPF bus in Jharkhand’s Lathear District, about 105 kilometres from state capital Ranchi. The bus was carrying around 80 CRPF personnel and was ambushed near Nimiadih village late Tuesday.
New reports said Maoist rebels first detonated a landmine and then started firing indiscriminately. The security personnel retaliated with gunfire.
Jharkhand police spokesperson S N Pradhan said: “The bus driver was killed on the spot and one security personnel died on the way to hospital. The bodies of five Maoist rebels have also been recovered.”
Four injured security personnel have been admitted to the Apollo Hospital in Ranchi for treatment.
The Lathear attack came shortly before Maoist rebels attacked a Border Security Force (BSF) camp near Ratnag in Palamau district, about 190 km from here.
There were around 70 BSF personnel in the camp, which was set up to ensure peaceful polling. The gunbattle between the guerrillas and security personnel lasted several hours. One BSF soldier was injured in the attack.
The six parliamentary constituencies that go to the polls in the first phase of elections Thursday are considered Maoist strongholds. The polling will be conducted under air surveillance by five India Air Force (IAF) helicopters. (ANI)
- Seven killed in Maoist violence in Jharkhand - Apr 15, 2009
- Jharkhand and Bihar Maoists in attack mode before elections - Apr 15, 2009
- CRPF trooper hurt, eight landmines found in Jharkhand - Aug 03, 2012
- Attack meant to reassert Maoist presence in Jharkhand: police - May 04, 2011
- Nine killed, four abducted in Jharkhand Maoist attacks on poll day (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists on terror spree in Jharkhand, Bihar before polls (Lead) - Apr 15, 2009
- Nine killed as Maoists attack securitymen on poll duty in Jharkhand (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Jharkhand - Sep 27, 2011
- Three CRPF personnel injured in landmine blast - Nov 12, 2010
- 11 security men killed, 30 injured in Jharkhand ambush - May 03, 2011
- Jharkhand Police admit mistakes, to probe ambush killing - May 04, 2011
- Maoists target election process in Bihar, Jharkhand (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2009
- Maoists kill CRPF man, injure six in Bihar - Jun 10, 2012
- Six BSF personnel killed in landmine blast in Jharkhand - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists kill 11 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: air surveillance, apollo hospital, border security force, bsf, bus driver, guerrillas, gunbattle, gunfire, helicopters, iaf, india air, kilometres, landmine, maoist, maoist rebels, parliamentary constituencies, police spokesperson, security personnel, soldier, strongholds