Seven CRPF troopers wounded in Srinagar militant attackMay 30th, 2012 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 30 (IANS) Seven Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were injured in a militant attack in the old city of Srinagar Wednesday morning.
A senior police officer said heavily-armed militants fired indiscriminately at a passing vehicle carrying CRPF troopers for law and order duties near Rainawari chowk of the old city, 4 kms from the city centre of Lal Chowk.
“Seven CRPF troopers were injured in the firing. The jawans were immediately evacuated to hospital for treatment. The condition of two is critical,” the officer said.
Authorities rushed heavy reinforcements to the area, which has now been surrounded for searches to trace the two motorcycle-borne assailants who fired at the vehicle.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Hard-line separatist leader, Syed Ali Shah Geelani had called for a shutdown Wednesday to coincide with the alleged rape and murder of two women in south Kashmir’s Shopian town in May 2009.
- 12 Shias killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Oct 04, 2011
- Separatists' strike affects life in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2011
- Four injured in Srinagar's Lal Chowk firing (Lead) - Mar 16, 2010
- Two killed, four injured in two separate strikes on CRPF in Srinagar - Aug 31, 2009
- Two killed, 23 wounded as CRPF fires at mobs in Kashmir - Jul 30, 2010
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Two killed, four wounded in Sopore guerrilla attack - Mar 16, 2010
- Over a dozen hurt in Srinagar's anti-blasphemy protests - Jun 05, 2010
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Five injured in Kashmir firing, interlocutors visit Shopian (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Civilian killed in Srinagar's Lal Chowk firing (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2010
- Protests in Srinagar over Facebook posts - Nov 18, 2011
- Teenager killed in Kashmir, toll 61 - Aug 20, 2010
- Srinagar on boil as youth killed in firing (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2010
Tags: ali shah, alleged rape, assailants, chowk, crpf, geelani, indiscriminately, kashmir, lal, law and order, motorcycle, police force, police officer, reinforcements, reserve police, separatist leader, seven central, south kashmir, two women, wednesday morning