Seven army troops killed in avalanche, eight rescuedApril 14th, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 14 (IANS) Seven army troops were killed when an avalanche buried an army post in the Shamsbari mountain range of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district Tuesday, an army official said. Eight other were rescued safely.
Spokesman of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps, Lt. Col. J.S. Brar told IANS here that an avalanche struck a counter insurgency (CI) post of the army in the Shamsbari mountain range Tuesday morning burying alive 15 soldiers.
“The troops were manning the CI post, when an avalanche struck it this morning. Rescue and relief operation was immediately launched and eight soldiers were safely rescued,” he said.
Bodies of the seven soldiers buried under the snow were also recovered by the rescue teams.
Kupwara district is 110 km from Srinagar.
The northern higher reaches of the valley experienced fresh heavy snowfall last week causing wintry conditions and leading to fresh avalanches.
Several people are killed every year in the avalanche prone areas of north and south Kashmir.
- Five soldiers buried in Kashmir avalanche - Jan 24, 2012
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Seven soldiers killed in avalanche (Lead) - Apr 14, 2009
- Avalanches kill 12 army personnel in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Eleven army soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Bodies of soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche recovered - Jul 09, 2012
- Nine army troopers killed in Kashmir avalanche - Feb 23, 2012
- One soldier killed, 13 rescued in north Kashmir avalanche - Feb 09, 2010
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Artillery exchanges between India and Pakistan on LoC - Sep 01, 2011
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- 16 army soldiers killed in north Kashmir avalanches (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: april 14, army official, army post, army troops, avalanche, brar, counter insurgency, heavy snowfall, kashmir, kupwara district, lt, north kashmir, prone areas, reaches, south kashmir, spokesman, tuesday morning, wintry conditions