Separatist shutdown affects Valley, vice president arrives in SrinagarJune 20th, 2009 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 20 (IANS) A shutdown called by separatists in the Kashmir Valley affected life in the summer capital and other major cities Saturday, even as Vice President Hamid Ansari arrived to preside over the convocation of Kashmir University.
Authorities imposed strict restrictions Friday to foil a march by separatists to Baramulla town. The march has been called by hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani against the murder and rape of two women in south Kashmir’s Shopian town last month.
Contingents of police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been deployed in strength to maintain law and order in the state capital. Security has been tightened in view of the vice president’s visit.
Roads leading to the university have been sealed off and no vehicles except those of the officials and those holding invitations to the function are being allowed.
Public transport, markets, educational institutions and banks are closed in the city and attendance in the government offices also remained thin because of non-availability of transport.
Reports reaching here from other major cities and towns of the Valley indicated the shutdown had adversely affected normal life there as well.
Meanwhile, authorities here denied Geelani had been shifted to the Srinagar central jail after his arrest a fortnight back.
“He has been lodged in Cheshmashahi area of the city and has not been shifted to the central jail,” a senior police official said.
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Separatists shutdown affects life in Kashmir - Feb 07, 2012
- Separatists' strike affects life in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2011
- Geelani's shutdown call hits life in Srinagar - Jun 11, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Geelani shutdown call affects life in Kashmir - May 14, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Shutdown in Kashmir to protest curbs on Geelani in Delhi - Feb 22, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Kashmir - Sep 04, 2012
- Shutdown over alleged rape affects life in Kashmir - Jul 23, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir towns - Sep 06, 2011
- Shutdown call by traders affects life in Srinagar (With Image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Separatist strike affects life in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2011
- No curfew in Srinagar despite separatist shutdown - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: capital security, central jail, cities and towns, convocation, crpf, educational institutions, fortnight, geelani, government offices, kashmir, kashmir valley, law and order, police official, reserve police, separatist leader, separatists, south kashmir, strict restrictions, transport markets, university authorities