Separatist leaders under house arrest, restrictions in SrinagarJuly 13th, 2012 - 11:00 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 13 (IANS) Separatist leaders were placed under house arrest and authorities Friday imposed restrictions in old city areas of summer capital Srinagar to prevent proposed rallies in connection with martyrs’ day.
Senior separatist leaders, Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Shabir Ahmad Shah and Muhammad Nayeem Khan were placed under house arrest to prevent their participation in the proposed separatist rallies.
The separatists had asked people to rally to the martyrs’ graveyard to pay tributes.
A shootout at the city’s central jail July 13, 1931, had killed 22 people who were protesting the release of an under trial, Abdul Qadeer.
They were then buried in which is now called as the martyrs’ graveyard in the old city.
“Nobody will be permitted to disturb peace in the city. The district administration has imposed restrictions at some places to ensure safety and security,” said state director general of police K. Rajendra Kumar.
“We have reports that some miscreants were planning to disturb peace. There is no curfew anywhere in the city,” Kumar said.
Police and paramilitary central reserve police force (CRPF) contingents in riot gear have been deployed in the old city and sensitive locations in uptown areas.
With Friday being a public holiday, educational institutions and government offices remained closed.
Governor N.N. Vohra, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and leader of the opposition People’s Democratic Party Mufti Muhammad Sayeed will pay tribute to the martyrs Friday.
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Geelani demands release of prisoners before Eid - Aug 19, 2011
- 'Martyrs Day' passes off peacefully in Srinagar (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar on 'martyrs' day' - Jul 13, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders placed under house arrest - Aug 20, 2012
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
- Kashmir shuts to protest anti-Islam video - Sep 18, 2012
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: ahmad shah, central jail, city areas, district administration, educational institutions, farooq, geelani, leader of the opposition, martyrs day, peace in the city, rajendra kumar, reserve police, riot gear, sayeed, sensitive locations, separatist leaders, shabir ahmad, tribute to the martyrs, uptown areas, vohra