Sensex opens up by over 379 pointsOctober 7th, 2008 - 12:37 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Oct 7 (ANI): After the downward trend over the past few days, the Sensex opened this morning up by over 379 points in early trade. The improvement in the index was attributed to revival of buying by FIIs after SEBI eased curbs on indirect investments by foreign funds and the RBI slashed CRR.
The 30-share index, which had plunged 724.62 points on Monday, recovered by 379.73 points to 12,181.43 points following rebound in the stocks of banking, capital goods, realty and oil and gas sectors.
Similarly, the wide-based National Stock Exchange’’s index rose by 127.05 at 3,729.40.
Market analysts said market regulator SEBI’’s move to lift some curbs on foreign institutional investors (FIIs) imposed a year ago and a 50 basis points cut in Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) by the Reserve Bank of India, buoyed the trading sentiment.
They said in view of change in the market’’s scenario, speculators were seen covering up their short positions. (ANI)
- Sensex closes January with 11 percent gain, best in 16 months (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Sensex closes at 11695 - Oct 07, 2008
- Overseas funds sell $22.39 million in equities - Sep 25, 2011
- Overseas funds sell over $259 million in equities - Sep 18, 2011
- Sensex falls, banking and consumer goods stocks slump - May 04, 2012
- Overseas funds turn bearish, pull out $2.48 bn in August - Aug 28, 2011
- Sensex slides 320 points to close below 17,000 (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- 'Qualified foreign investors can directly invest in equity markets' - Jan 01, 2012
- Sensex quiet in morning trade, above 17,000 - Jan 25, 2012
- Best week for Sensex in over two years - Dec 02, 2011
- Sensex closes 82 points lower as industrial output slows (Roundup) - Feb 10, 2012
- Overseas funds bought Indian stocks worth $282 mn during week - Jul 31, 2011
- Sensex closes quiet as GDP numbers disappoint (Roundup) - Feb 29, 2012
- Sensex closes 85 points up, Bharti drags (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2012
- Sensex up 95 points, makes third straight week of gains (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: bank of india, basis points, capital goods, cash reserve ratio, curbs, downward trend, fiis, foreign institutional investors, gas sectors, market analysts, market regulator, national stock exchange, oct 7, oil and gas, rbi, rebound, reserve bank of india, revival, share index, speculators