Self-styled Godman arrested for selling tiger skin in MaharashtraJuly 22nd, 2010 - 8:00 pm ICT by ANI
Latur (Maharashtra), July 22 (ANI): A tiger skin and elephant’s tusks have been seized from a self-proclaimed godman by the district police of Latur in Maharashtra following a report that he had sold them to a local resident.
Police have arrested Monu Singh, the god man, and registered a case against him under the Wildlife Protection Act.
He fell into a trap laid out for him by the police.
“We received information that a holy man was selling a tiger skin and elephant’s tusks to these persons. So we laid a trap, and we seized a tiger skin and elephant’s teeth from him. Then we contacted the forest department and the officials said that it was indeed a tiger skin,” said Sudhakar Bavkar, a police officer.
The complainant, who had bought the tiger skin from the godman, said that he felt suspicious about the transaction and later informed the police officials.
“I bought the tiger-skin from a self-proclaimed god-man. But I developed suspicion about the transaction. So I went to the police and the Superintendent said that he would find that man. The god-man had also told me that if I wanted a gun he would sell that as well,” said Ashish Kokate, the complainant.
The accused godman said that he had bought it from someone and sold it to someone else.
“Even I got from somewhere and sold it off. I got it from a man. It was for 16,000 rupees and I sold it for 21,000 rupees,” said Monu Singh Tak, the accused.
Conservationists say that despite the ban on the use of tiger parts in medicines, the trade in animal skin and bones is booming in countries of the far East such as China where everything from fur to whiskers to eyeballs to bones, are in great demand. (ANI)
- Tiger skin seized in Odisha, 4 held - Sep 04, 2012
- Four arrested on kidnapping charge - Sep 02, 2011
- Elephant tusk pieces seized, three arrested - Sep 17, 2012
- Man kills neighbour's daughter on tantrik's order - Oct 23, 2010
- Childless couple 'sacrifice' three-year-old to get son - Apr 13, 2010
- Four held for bid to sell elephant tusk - Jul 08, 2010
- Man detained for human sacrifice - Oct 31, 2011
- Tiger skins seized in Haryana, 5 held - Jul 20, 2011
- CBI nabs 4 customs officials for taking bribe - Jun 06, 2012
- Elephants love liquor, cry when sad, says new book (IANS Books) - Apr 22, 2011
- Man's body found in tin box - May 18, 2011
- 12 elephants dead in Indonesia, probe launched - Jun 21, 2012
- Tiger skins, bones fetch $5 mn annually in black market - Nov 23, 2010
- Kenya seizes Nigeria-bound 600 kg illegal ivory - Jun 23, 2012
- 'I love Anna' - smugglers' code word - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: animal skin, complainant, conservationists, district police, elephant, eyeballs, forest department, god man, godman, holy man, latur, medicines, police officer, police officials, rupees, skin and bones, tiger skin, tusks, whiskers, wildlife protection act