Self-help groups empower rural women in ChennaiMarch 18th, 2009 - 7:43 pm ICT by ANI
By Jai Kumar
Chennai, Mar 18 (ANI): Self-help groups (SHGs) in Tamil Nadu are helping rural women become self-reliant by opening new employment avenues.
With help from the State and Central Governments, women residing in Krishnagiri District in Tamil Nadu have set up cottage industries to make various items ranging from soft toys to beautiful accessories.
Workers involved with the SHGs are earning a decent sum for their livelihood.
“We, a group of 20 women make toys and other items here. We received a daily income of rupees 100 to 110 and monthly income goes up to rupees 3000. With the help of Central government’’s assistance we have also developed economically,” said Kala, a worker.
They are also given expert vocational training in latest designs and patterns of making soft toys and fancy accessories.
“We have been doing this implementation project in rural and urban areas. … for below poverty line, disability and minority groups,” said, Arumugam, Assistant Project Officer, SHG.
Besides, the SHGs organise regular exhibitions where items made by these women are put on display. (ANI)
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- Adding self-reliance to conservation, with jams and jellies - Feb 13, 2012
- Schemes empower women in a Tamil Nadu village - Mar 05, 2009
- Self-help groups to get loans at lower rates: Jairam Ramesh - Jun 21, 2011
- Self-Help Groups need to help themselves for survival - Jan 18, 2010
- Self-help groups bring self-reliance among Tripura women - May 26, 2009
- Self-help groups enabling Punjabs rural women gain self-reliance - Mar 12, 2009
- Empowering lives, transforming villages - the self-help way (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- National livelihood mission to rural raise workers's skills - Jun 03, 2011
- Self-help groups help rural women in Punjab - May 01, 2009
- Self-employment schemes empower women in Tamil Nadu - Mar 16, 2009
- Self-help groups transforming women's life in rural Punjab - Oct 26, 2009
- Some self-help - and tribal women mean business - Mar 25, 2011
- Government keen to reduce loan rate for self help groups: Ramesh - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: avenues, central government, central governments, chennai, disability, exhibitions, fancy accessories, implementation project, jai, livelihood, minority groups, poverty line, rupees, rural and urban areas, rural women, self help groups, shg, soft toys, tamil nadu, vocational training