Self-help group in Orissa making women self-reliantApril 8th, 2009 - 5:31 pm ICT by ANI
By Sharda Lahangir
Devla (Orissa), Apr 8 (ANI): A large number of women in Devla village of Orissa, are becoming self-reliant with the help of a self-help group, founded by an illiterate tribal woman.
Padma Bhotra, a tribal woman, won several awards and recognition, including the best volunteer award from the United Nations.
She has founded a self-help group in Devla village of Nabrangpur district, in a bid to improve their living conditions in the years to come.
Bhotra, with scores of other women of her village are engaged in farming and sell their produce in market. With their tireless efforts, the members of this self-help group are capable of earning a reasonable income.
Besides providing employment, the self-help group is also involved in other social activities.
“We opened a school for our children. We also distribute kerosene oil in the village. We sell paddy and rice as well. We also created a fund for the treatment of pregnant women at hospital,” said Bhotra.
Villagers thanked Bhotra for bringing light to their lives.
“Bhotra taught us the real way to lead the life. We work in our agricultural fields. Our children are getting education in schools,” said Mahori Majhi, a villager.
They feel that Bhotra is a source of inspiration for other women. (ANI)
- Some self-help - and tribal women mean business - Mar 25, 2011
- Adding self-reliance to conservation, with jams and jellies - Feb 13, 2012
- Herbal medicine becoming source of livelihood for Nainital women - Apr 10, 2011
- Beauty contest at tribal fest? Orissa town shuts down - Oct 17, 2011
- Orissa tribal women complain of poor support after husbands demise - Oct 28, 2010
- Tripura rural market moves towards prosperity - Jun 27, 2010
- Poverty-stricken woman sells infant to pay debt - Sep 04, 2012
- Orissa legislator killed by suspected Maoists - Sep 24, 2011
- India's biggest women's grassroots chain connects to Africa - Jul 09, 2012
- UPA aims at women's self reliance: Sonia (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Orissa's IT minister toils to 'complete studies' - Mar 19, 2011
- Self-help groups bring self-reliance among Tripura women - May 26, 2009
- Sketch of Orissa legislator's killer released - Oct 11, 2011
- She is illiterate, but 'masterin' to farmers - Jun 10, 2010
- Prisoners to teach other inmates in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 17, 2010