Self-employment schemes empower women in Tamil NaduMarch 16th, 2009 - 3:59 pm ICT by ANI
By Jai Kumar
Krishnagiri (Tamil Nadu), Mar 16 (ANI): Women residing in the interior regions of Krishnagiri District in Tamil Nadu should be indebted to the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS) for their recent good fortune.
Under the NREGS, women have been motivated to set up cottage industries to make different items of daily use.
Known as the Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY), the primary objective of the scheme is to enhance livelihood security of households in rural areas. Around 8,500 rural women are working under this scheme.
“This business gives us an opportunity to lead a better life and to move forward. We earn rupees 50 per day and can manage our homes,” said Yashim Bibi, a beneficiary of NREGS.
The District administration also helps these self help groups in getting financial assistance from the financial institutions and to market the products.
According to Dr. V K Shanmugham, the District Collector of Krishnagiri, the Central Government has distributed around rupees 30 crores to the self help groups to help women.
The State authorities are conducting regular workshops to train women in procuring raw material, ensuring quality control and achieving marketing objectives. (ANI)
- Sonia to launch rural livelihood mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Rs.6.53 Cr released for Tripura under Swarnjayanti Gram Swarojgar Yojana - Jun 07, 2010
- Rural development to get 12 percent more - Feb 28, 2011
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Poor youth to be trained for jobs - Feb 11, 2011
- Self-help groups empower Jharkhand rural women - Mar 19, 2009
- Rural employment schemes a boon for West Bengal villagers - Aug 20, 2010
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- 69 percent households gain from rural job scheme - Apr 17, 2011
- Ten-day Tripura crafts exhibition gives boost to entrepreneurs, artisans - Jan 21, 2011
- Central rural development schemes realizing Mahatma Gandhi's dream in Assam - Mar 03, 2010
- Manipur hosts fair promoting rural handicrafts and handlooms - Dec 10, 2009
- Manmohan Singh favours redoubling of efforts to tackle drought - Sep 09, 2009
- Econonomic Survey says bank credit has grown by 13.9 per cent - Feb 25, 2010
- SBI-AISECT introduce mobile banking services - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: better life, central government, crores, district administration, employment schemes, financial institutions, good fortune, guarantee scheme, interior regions, jai, krishnagiri, livelihood security, marketing objectives, raw material, rupees, rural women, self employment, self help groups, state authorities, yojana