Security tightened in Orissa in the wake of VHP shutdown callAugust 25th, 2008 - 12:30 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Aug 25 (ANI): A high-alert has been sounded across Orissa and additional security forces have been deployed in view of the Vishawa Hindu Parishad (VHP)s 12-hour dawn-to-dusk state-wide shutdown today against the killing of a senior VHP functionary on Saturday night.
Around 20 platoons of the state police and four companies of CRPF have been deployed following tense situation in the tribal dominated Kandhmal district where the VHP leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati and his four followers were killed by unidentified assailants.
Fearing communal violence, the district administration has imposed curfew in parts of the district, and announced closure of all schools, colleges and other academic institutions.
The State Government has ordered a judicial enquiry into the killings. A massive manhunt has been launched to nab the culprits.
Soon after the attack on the 85-year-old VHP leader, the VHP activists and other saffron outfits staged demonstrations, blocked roads and stopped trains at several places. The VHP leader, who had been working among tribals against religious conversion, was gunned down at an ashram for girls at Jalespeta in Tumudibandh block.
Prohibitory orders were clamped in the communally sensitive district and security tightened on Sunday.
State Chief Minister Navin Patnaik has announced an ex-gratia of two lakh rupees each to the families of the dead. (ANI)
- Orissa on high alert, state govt. orders probe into killing of VHP leader - Aug 24, 2008
- As VHP leader's death anniversary looms, Kandhamal is engulfed with security blanket - Aug 13, 2009
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- Suspected Maoists kill five VHP functionaries in Orissa - Aug 24, 2008
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Security beefed up in Kandhamal for VHP protest - Aug 11, 2009
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Security tightened in Kandhamal - Aug 23, 2009
- Day curfew re-imposed in Kandhmal - Oct 01, 2008
- Assam bandh turns violent, one killed - Aug 28, 2012
- Woman killed as lightning strikes UP village - Aug 31, 2012
- Assam toll is 12, curfew continues - Jul 22, 2012
- Nine killed in communal clashes in Assam's Kokrajhar - Jul 21, 2012
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Dust storm kills 21 people in Uttar Pradesh - May 23, 2011