Security tightened at Kamakhya Temple in Guwahati after rebel threatDecember 26th, 2007 - 12:43 pm ICT by admin
Guwahati, Dec 26 (ANI): Security has been strengthened at the famous Shakti Shrine Kamakhya Temple in Guwahati after a rebel threat.
The alert comes over a week after a suspected Pakistani secret agency ISI’s operative Mojibullah Alam alias Asfi Alam was nabbed in Guwahati, where the temple is located.
Declining to comment on the authenticity of newspaper reports of an al-Qaeda threat to the temple, the police said they are nevertheless taking precautions.
“I would not like to comment anything on the authenticity of the reports. We have got reports (of threats to the temple) and we have received such reports before. There is no need to comment on the authenticity of these reports but it is important we take enough precautions to avert any danger and we are doing it,” said P. Hazela, Deputy Commissioner of Kamrup district.
The temple dedicated to Goddess Kamakhya who represents female fertility, receives devotees from across the country.
A number of separatist outfits including the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) are active in the state.
The ULFA says it is fighting for Assam’s independence, which is rich in oil, natural gas and tea. It accuses Centre of taking away its mineral and forest resources while neglecting the local population.
Assam is one of seven states in northeast, a region racked by a number of insurgencies. More than 15,000 people have been killed since ULFA launched the revolt in 1979 in Assam. (ANI)
- Human head found near Assam's Kamakhya temple (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Tight security for Ambubashi Fair at Kamakhya Temple - Jun 23, 2008
- ULFA attack on Congress office injures three (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Devotees throng Assam's Kamakhya temple for Kumari Puja - Sep 24, 2009
- PM on two-day visit to Assam from Friday - Feb 17, 2011
- Human head found at famous Kamakhya temple - Mar 02, 2012
- Split in ULFA? Baruah slams peace talks - Aug 10, 2011
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Assam ups security after ULFA's R-Day boycott call - Jan 23, 2012
- High security in Assam for PM's visit, IED recovered - Apr 19, 2012
- ULFA offers ceasefire to pave way for talks (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- ULFA slams army's missile programme in Assam, Nagaland - Mar 26, 2012
- ULFA hideout raided, bomb recovered - Apr 16, 2012
- Blast in Assam refinery, ULFA claims responsibility - Apr 07, 2012
- Will not allow any anti-India groups: Bhutan PM - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, alias, assam, authenticity, deputy commissioner, devotees, female fertility, forest resources, goddess, guwahati, isi, natural gas, newspaper reports, population, rebel threat, revolt, tea, ulfa, united liberation front