Security on high alert in Assam after blastJune 30th, 2008 - 12:41 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, June 30 (ANI): Security in Assam has been put on high alert following Sunday’s bomb blast at a weekly market in Baksa district, killing five persons and injuring 75.
Additional security forces have been pressed into service in all the markets, railway stations, bus stands and other vital installations to keep an eye on every single activity.
Around 30 seriously injured are undergoing treatment at the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital. Most of the injured belonged to the Bodo and Adivasi communities.
Police suspect the blast to be the handiwork of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA). The ULFA, however, has not so far claimed the responsibility.
The bomb exploded around 1.10 p.m. in the busy Kumarikata weekly market in Tamulpur. The area, falling under the Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts (BTAD), is a bastion of Bodo militants. (ANI)
- 5 killed, 35 injured in Assam bomb blast - Jun 29, 2008
- Two guerrillas killed in Assam - May 30, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Ethnic trouble far from over, Assam warned (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Assam ethnic trouble far from over: Shinde - Sep 13, 2012
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Four persons nabbed, bomb recovered on ULFA raising day - Apr 07, 2012
- 12 injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: additional security, adivasi, assam, autonomous districts, bastion, bodo, bomb blast, handiwork, medical college, railway stations, security forces, ulfa, undergoing treatment, united liberation front, united liberation front of asom