Security beefed up in Bihar jail after threat callJanuary 5th, 2009 - 1:07 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 5 (IANS) Security has been stepped up at Bihar’s Aurangabad district jail and police stations have been put on high alert after a phone call threatening to repeat the infamous Jehanabad jailbreak was received, a police officer said.A phone call from an unidentified man, suspected to be a Maoist rebel, was received Sunday. He threatened to attack the Aurangabad district jail and repeat the Jehanabad jailbreak.
About 300 inmates, including 150 Maoists, escaped when the Jehanabad jail was attacked in 2005.
“Additional armed forces have been deployed at Aurangabad district jail. The police do not want to take any chances after threat of a Jehanabad-like jailbreak,” Aurangabad Assistant Superintendent of Police A.R. Singh said.
Dozens of Maoists, including their self-styled commanders, zonal commanders and area commanders, are lodged in the district jail.
Aurangabad is one of the four districts of south Bihar affected by Maoist violence.
- High alert in Bihar's Jehanabad to foil repeat of 2005 jailbreak - Nov 13, 2009
- Maoists planned to replicate Jehanabad jailbreak in Jamui - Sep 16, 2010
- Four Maoists arrested in Bihar - Feb 15, 2010
- Orissa asks Andhra about arrested wife of Maoist leader - Nov 16, 2010
- Maoists torch two trucks in Bihar - Jun 17, 2011
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Maoists strike Bihar railway station - Jun 16, 2011
- Ranvir Sena chief killed, curfew imposed on Bihar town (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Fifteen mobile phones recovered from Bihar jail - Sep 02, 2010
- Maoists attack Bihar railway station (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Bihar jails' security tightened after Maoist threat - Oct 30, 2010
- Maoist leader arrested in Bihar - Jun 07, 2010
- Bihar alerts legislators, officials in 33 Maoist-hit districts - Apr 22, 2012
- Tension in Bihar village after Maoists kill five - Jul 31, 2011