Security beefed up at religious places following al-Qaeda threatNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:50 am ICT by admin
“We have received terror threats stating that the terrorist organisation might spread panic in the area. The threats are from al-Qaeda,” said Ajay Joshi, Superintendent of Police, Haridwar.
Following intelligence inputs, security has been beefed-up at railway stations apart from the area around temples.
Also, there are terror threats for Dehradun, Joshi said.
Meanwhile, authorities at the Shirdi temple in Nasik have received threatening letters from a terrorist group.
Security around the two famous pilgrimages in the city has been beefed-up with armed paramilitary forces keeping a round-the-clock vigil.
“It was a terror letter stating that Nasik Ram temple, Trimbakeshwar temple and Shirdi temple would be targeted,” said Sudam Triyambhake, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Nasik.
“But as of now, nothing has taken place and we do not find anything serious. Nevertheless, we have tightened security in the region,” he added.
Investigative agencies are trying to establish the authenticity of the letter.
So far, no arrests have been made.
The al-Qaeda is targeting religious places in the country with the festive season round the corner.
Security personnel have been cautioned, following which Bomb Disposal Squads have been stationed at the places of religious interest. (ANI)
- Now, Japan, Sweden warn citizens against al-Qaeda Mumbai-style terror attacks in Europe - Oct 05, 2010
- Pak intelligence warns of attack on US Embassy - May 09, 2010
- Terror plot to bomb US-bound plane foiled (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Plot to blow up US-bound jet foiled - May 08, 2012
- Russia praises Osama operation, urges US for greater counterterror cooperation - May 05, 2011
- UK Christmas terror attack plotters received training in Pakistan - Dec 23, 2010
- Irish terrorists may target royal wedding: Brit security officials - Apr 19, 2011
- 15 Al-Qaeda prisoners escape from Yemeni jail - Dec 12, 2011
- Domestic terrorism number one priority for US intelligence - Feb 11, 2011
- Pak intelligence agencies warn of terror strike on US Embassy in Islamabad - May 26, 2010
- CIA finds security lapse led to Afghan suicide attack that killed 7 agents - Oct 20, 2010
- Pak intelligence agencies warns of attack on security agencies in Punjab - May 10, 2010
- 26/11 Mumbai-style Al-Qaeda threat to Britain 'still active' - Sep 30, 2010
- Al-Qaeda a 'failure' in Indonesia, claims secret Oz intelligence assessment - Dec 15, 2010
- Al-Qaeda affiliates will still pose threats: US experts - May 02, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, bomb disposal, commissioner of police, group security, haridwar, intelligence, investigative agencies, nasik, paramilitary forces, ram temple, religious interest, religious places, shirdi, spread panic, sudam, terror, terrorist, threats, tightened security, uttarakhand