Security beefed up along Indo-Nepal border following drugs seizureNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:11 am ICT by admin
“After searching the car, we located secret compartments, where we found one quintal, 94 kilograms of hashish (extract of cannabis plant). It is one of the biggest seizures ever made. The value of the seizure in the international market is about 508,582 dollars,” said R P Chaturvedi, Superintendent of Police in the Siddhartha Nagar District of the state.
Police said they have deployed security along the 1,747 kilometer-long porous border that India shares with Nepal.
“We have taken measures to prevent drug trafficking along the border where we conduct surprise checks. There are some borders that are known to all but there are other transit points which can be misused by traffickers, we have police check points there also,” said Gian Singh, Inspector General Gorakhpur zone.
The Indo-Nepal border area has always been a playground for elements engaged in antinational activities. To counter these issues, SSB was deployed at the border area in 2002. (ANI)
- Three more SSB battalions to to be deployed on Nepal border - Aug 30, 2011
- Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fair - Feb 14, 2012
- Three Nepali women held with cannabis - Sep 13, 2011
- Three Chinese held for photographing troopers' camps - Jan 18, 2011
- Registering servants with police bears fruit - Jul 08, 2011
- Y. S. Dadwal takes charge as Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal - Nov 11, 2010
- 'Poorly trained troopers responsible for villagers' killing' - Aug 03, 2010
- Six Nepali kids rescued in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 22, 2010
- Security force sensitizes personnel of importance of media - Mar 19, 2010
- SSB conducts social welfare camp in West Bengal - Feb 21, 2010
- About 750 women personnel to guard Indo-Nepal border - Nov 21, 2008
- Two Nepali women nabbed with cannabis - Dec 25, 2010
- Arrested Chinese sent to 10-day judicial remand - Jan 21, 2011
- Nepali woman nabbed with drugs in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 29, 2010
- Three Chinese held for crossing into India - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: border area, borders, cannabis plant, deployed, drug trafficking, gian singh, gorakhpur, hashish, indian police, indo nepal, international market, police check, police seized, quintal, secret compartments, seizure, siddhartha, surprise checks, taken measures, transit points