Security agencies to bring Pak bound ship to Kolkata for investigationJune 27th, 2010 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, June 27 (ANI): A Karachi-bound ship, which was intercepted on the Hooghly with UN peacekeeping mission arms and ammunition, is all set to sail for the Kolkata port amid tight security on Sunday for thorough investigation.
According to sources, the Liberia-registered ‘Aegean Glory’, was carrying rocket launchers, smoke bombs and anti-aircraft guns, apart from other arms and ammunition.
On Friday, the vessel was intercepted on the Hooghly as it had not furnished necessary declaration documents for carrying weapons and explosives.
West Bengal Director General of Police Bhupinder Singh said that at Kolkata, customs officials would tally weapons in the container with the list made by the security officials after interrogating ship’s captain.
Meanwhile, the West Bengal Police have contacted New York-based Movement Control officials of the UN Mission to get detailed information about the ship.
Singh said if any discrepancies are found, legal action would be taken against the owner of the ship and the crew members.
He further informed that the “Aegean Glory,” was slated to unload the military cargo at different ports to return weapons of the nations that participated in the UN Mission in Liberia (UNMIL).
The UN peacekeeping force landed Liberia in 2003 to contain the conflict arising out of the second Liberian civil war.
All the security agencies concerned and the ministries of external affairs, defence and home were alerted after the interception of the ship. (ANI)
- Ship mystery resolved as UN confirms consignment (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Pak objects to seizure of Karachi bound ship by India - Jun 28, 2010
- Dubious Pak-bound ship carrying explosives tugged to Kolkata port for investigation - Jun 27, 2010
- UN ship detained by India reaches Karachi - Jul 25, 2010
- Karachi-bound ship with explosives to be probed - Jun 26, 2010
- No Nepal arms on ship detained near Kolkata: Army - Jun 27, 2010
- Explosive-laden vessel bound for Karachi intercepted (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- UN blames captain for Pak bound ship's detention by India - Jul 02, 2010
- Container ship sinking in Hooghly after collision - Nov 23, 2010
- Karachi-bound ship carrying explosives intercepted - Jun 25, 2010
- Pakistani general to lead UN force in Liberia - Oct 14, 2010
- Repair work to start on stranded vessel at Diamond Harbour - Dec 22, 2010
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- Indian peacekeepers honoured in Haiti - May 11, 2012
- UN probes firing on Indian troopers by Pakistani officer - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: aegean, aircraft guns, ammunition, bhupinder singh, control officials, crew members, customs officials, external affairs, hooghly, interception, liberian civil war, military cargo, rocket launchers, security agencies, security officials, smoke bombs, tight security, un peacekeeping force, un peacekeeping mission, west bengal police