Second SAARC Home Secretaries meet heldNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:47 am ICT by admin
In keeping with the spirit of decisions taken at the 14th SAARC Summit held in New Delhi in April to move SAARC from the declaratory to the implementation stage, the Secretaries had constructive and focused deliberations identifying specific areas for cooperation.
The meeting reviewed the progress in the implementation of the decisions of the first meeting of SAARC Home Ministers held at Dhaka on May 11, 2006.
The meeting noted with appreciation that most of the decisions taken at the last Ministerial Meeting have been implemented.
They also reviewed the progress in the implementation of the SAARC Regional Convention on Suppression of Terrorism and Additional Protocol, SAARC Convention on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances and SAARC Conventions on Preventing and Combating Trafficking in Women and Children for Prostitution.
At the 14th SAARC Summit early this year, the Heads of Government had emphasised the importance of increased cooperation in security related areas, especially the need to combat terrorism, narcotics and psychotropic substances, trafficking in women and children and other trans-national crimes.
They had also expressed their commitment to take every possible measure to prevent and suppress, in particular, financing of terrorist acts and counter illicit trafficking of narcotic drugs and illicit arms.
Second meeting of SAARC Home/Interior Ministers will be held tomorrow. (ANI)
- Chidambaram in Thimphu for SAARC security conference - Jul 22, 2011
- Chidambaram, Malik co-travellers for SAARC security conference (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2011
- India, Pakistan agree to enhance cooperation to control drug trafficking - Mar 29, 2011
- Text of India, Pakistan joint statement - Mar 29, 2011
- Chidambaram expresses concern over increasing terror threat to SAARC region - Jun 26, 2010
- Home secretary to attend SAARC security conference - Jul 20, 2011
- Home secretary to attend SAARC security conference (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- South Asia's leaders to accelerate trade, to jointly combat terror - Nov 11, 2011
- India talks tough on terror - ahead of dialogue - Jul 23, 2011
- India among top drugs hotspots: UN report (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- South Asia to accelerate trade, combat terror (Roundup) - Nov 12, 2011
- 'Medicines containing narcotic drugs misused in South Asia' - Mar 02, 2011
- Nepal to check fake currency influx into India - Jan 16, 2012
- India, Pakistan resolves to cooperate for combating terrorism - Nov 26, 2008
- India and Turkmenistan agree to cooperate against global terror - May 26, 2010
Tags: combat terrorism, cooperation, decisions, heads of government, illicit arms, implementation stage, interior ministers, madhukar, narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances, regional convention, saarc summit, secretaries, trafficking in women, trans national