Second phase of BrahMos missile programme to be launched Feb 10January 31st, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 31 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K.Antony will launch the second phase of cruise missile maker Brahmos Aerospace’s development programme here Feb 10, Kerala Industries Minister Elamaram Kareem Saturday said.He told reporters that the development programme included investment worth Rs.1.25 billion) by BrahMos at their existing unit here.
“They (BrahMos) have requested eight acres of land adjacent to their existing unit, which is now occupied by the Southern Air Command. They have also asked us to provide another 50 acres of land for their next phase and we have already identified two places, both in the capital district itself,” the minister said.
In the first phase, BrahMos had announced a total investment of Rs.1.25 billion at the existing campus of state public sector unit Keltec, which it had taken over December 2007.
Of this, Rs.750 million was invested by the BrahMos organisation while the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) were to contribute Rs.250 million each.
Named after the Brahmaputra and Moskova rivers, the missile is capable of being launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or from land. It is about three times faster than the US subsonic Tomahawk cruise missile and has the capability to attack surface targets as low as 10m in altitude and has a maximum range of 290 km.
The missile programme is a joint venture between India’s DRDO and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroeyenia who have together formed the BrahMos Corp. Currently, the assembly of the state-of-the-art missile takes place at the BrahMos unit in Hyderabad.
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- Achuthanandan to resolve land hassles for Kerala missile project - Sep 30, 2009
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- BrahMos missile likely to be inducted in IAF by 2013 - Aug 25, 2010
- India tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile - Mar 30, 2012
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Jul 29, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- Nirbhay cruise missile test next year - Nov 16, 2011
- 40 Indian fighter jets to be fitted with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- India successfully tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: brahmaputra, cruise missile, defence minister, defence research, development organisation, drdo, indian space research, indian space research organisation, industries minister, investment worth, isro, kareem, maximum range, missile maker, moskova, public sector unit, state public sector, surface targets, thiruvananthapuram, worth rs