Scolari confident of Chelsea winning quadrupleJuly 28th, 2008 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 28 (ANI): New Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has been impressed by his Chelsea squad, and signalled the start of hostilities for the coming season as he claimed that his squad is capable of winning the quadruple — the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup and the League Cup.
Brazilian Scolari has been quiet about his hopes for his new team so far, but three weeks of working with them has convinced him he has a squad capable of winning it all.
And Scolari has laid down a challenge to his men by saying that, if they can get to three-cup finals, he knows how to win them.
It was a statement of intent from Scolari, confident enough in his squad to proclaim they are good enough to claim back the title and take the Champions League from Manchester United - and win the rest too, the Daily Express reported.
We have four competitions this season and I will try to win four competitions. The players are the same. It is very difficult but we have the team for this. We have the players for this. I have everything that I want at Chelsea. Never say never, he said.
Scolari, whose team have won both opening games on their South East Asia tour, said: I try to give the players confidence. Sure, sometimes they will make mistakes but I tell them that this is normal. I say to them, Have confidence in yourselves and, after this, the rest is my problem.
Those will be welcome words for a team that lost finals last year in the Champions League and Carling Cup under Avram Grant and took the race for the title to the wire on the final day before losing out to United.
Scolari now believes he knows 75 per cent of the team he is going to put out on the opening day against Portsmouth on August 17 - and knows the key components of the side he will field this season. (ANI)
- Torres defends his selection in Spain's Euro squad - May 29, 2012
- Grant is tipped to claim another giant FA Cup scalp - Apr 13, 2010
- Ronaldo predicts all-Spanish final - Apr 07, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Ancelotti wants to extend his stay at Chelsea - Apr 06, 2011
- Chelsea's 'double-winning squad' can repeat last year's fantastic season: Ancelotti - Aug 07, 2010
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea FC not dead yet, says coach Ancelotti - Feb 22, 2011
- Palmeiras defeats Coritiba to win Copa do Brasil - Jul 12, 2012
- Ancelotti says feeling the heat to save his Blues job - Dec 06, 2010
- John Terry apologises for being sent off against Barca - Apr 25, 2012
- Ancelotti backs Chelsea to win Treble next year - May 16, 2010
- Liverpool needs to sign quality players for better performance: Gerrard - Apr 21, 2010
- Brazil's World Cup-winning coach in demand - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: carling cup, champions league, competitions, confidence, daily express, east asia tour, fa cup, felipe scolari, games, hostilities, london, manchester united, opening day, portsmouth, premier league, south east asia, statement of intent, welcome words