SC transfers criminal case against MF Hussain to DelhiFebruary 4th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 4 (ANI): Noted painter M F Hussain on Monday got a relief, as the Supreme Court transferred a criminal case pending against him from a Maharashtra court to Delhi.
Hussain has allegedly hurt the religious sentiments of Hindus with his controversial paintings.
Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan headed bench directed that the criminal case against Hussain would now be shifted from a court in Pandharpur to Patiala House Courts in New Delhi.
Counsels of the 92-year-old painter, Harish Salve and Mukul Rohatgi requestedthe apex court to transfer six criminal cases against Hussain in various courts across the country to Delhi.
The Supreme Court, however, however, did not pass any order on this plea.
The apex court had in 2007 stayed a Haridwar court order to the Mumbai Police to attach the property of the artist for his failure to appear in the case there.
Other criminal cases pending against the painter are in various courts in Bhopal, Indore and Rajkot. (ANI)
- SC issues notice to CBI on Essar Teleholdings' petition - Feb 15, 2012
- 2G: Supreme Court to hear Essar Tech's plea Feb 17 (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- SC issues notice to CBI on Essar Teleholdings' petition (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case - May 01, 2012
- Complainants against Husain want financial relief - Mar 10, 2008
- Bhopal tragedy: Apex court comments on its own verdict (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- 2G: CBI wants Loop, Essar tried along with other firms (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- 2G trial judge can't hear cheating case: Telecom firm (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Apex court adjourns hearing in Jayalalithaa graft case - Sep 06, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear petition on 'Aarakshan' ban - Aug 12, 2011
- Rajasekhara Reddy's widow withdraws plea from apex court - Jan 17, 2012
- Apex court removes two Gujarat cops from riots probe panel - Apr 06, 2010
- Baba Ramdev played rabble-rouser, police tell apex court - Nov 28, 2011
- SC notice to CBI on Nupur Talwar's bail plea (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, bench, chief justice, criminal case, failure, hindus, indore, m f hussain, mf hussain, mukul, mumbai police, New Delhi, paintings, pandharpur, plea, religious sentiments, salve, supreme court