SC to hear Sanjay Dutt’s plea on MondayMarch 29th, 2009 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 29 (ANI): The Supreme Court will hear a petition filed by Bollywood actor-turned politician Sanjay Dutt for suspension of his conviction under the Arms Act in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case on Monday.
Dutt’s fate will depend upon the stand taken by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Dutt is the Samajwadi Party (SP) candidate for the Lucknow parliamentary constituency. He can only contest the upcoming general elections if he gets a stay on his conviction.
He was sentenced to a jail term of six years for illegal possession of firearms acquired from terrorist acquaintances, who were responsible for the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts on July 31, 2007.
He was granted bail by the apex court on November 27, 2007.
Under the Representation of the People’s Act, anyone sentenced to more than two years’ imprisonment, is barred from contesting elections till a court of law stays that conviction and sentence. (ANI)
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt's petition to stay conviction - Mar 30, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt''s petition on March 30 to stay conviction - Mar 06, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt moves SC to allow him to contest elections - Mar 05, 2009
- Supreme Court rejects plea against Sanjay Dutt - Jul 04, 2011
- SC reserves order on Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 30, 2009
- I was not surprised by Supreme Court's decision: Sanjay Dutt - Mar 31, 2009
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- Samajwadi Party appoints Sanjay Dutt as General Secretary - Apr 02, 2009
- Warrant issued for Sanjay Dutt's arrest - May 28, 2011
- I hope court case gets over soon: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 10, 2011
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court to hear final hearing in January 2011 - Jul 26, 2010
- Sanjay can't contest, apex court dismisses plea (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Nafisa Ali replaces Sanjay Dutt as SP candidate from Lucknow - Apr 05, 2009
Tags: acquaintances, actor turned politician, apex, apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, conviction, fate, general elections, illegal possession of firearms, imprisonment, jail term, mumbai blasts, mumbai bomb blasts, New Delhi, parliamentary constituency, petition, plea, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt