SC suspends Kangra medical college principal over ragging deathMarch 30th, 2009 - 8:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 30 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday ordered the suspension of the principal of Rajendra Prasad Medical College in Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, where first-year medical science student Aman Kachroo was ragged and beaten to death by his seniors.
The apex court has also sought an explanation from the Andhra Pradesh Government as to why no criminal case was registered against the principal of Bapatla Agricultural and Engineering College where a female student attempted suicide after being forced to dance nude by seniors.
Terming the death of students due to ragging a “national tragedy”, the bench of Justices Arijit Pasayat and Asok Kumar Ganguly asked the Andhra Pradesh police chief to complete the ongoing probe into the attempted suicide by the girl at the earliest.
The court passed these directions while dealing with an application filed by Additional Solicitor General and Amicus Curiae Gopal Subramaniam on the two incidents.
The Supreme Court on March 16 had asked the chief secretaries of the Himachal Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh to file affidavits on the action they have taken to implement the anti-ragging measures ordered by the court in the last two years.
The Supreme Court had issued a contempt notice to the two colleges as the incidents were in gross violation of the court’s directives to check ragging in educational institutions. (ANI)
- Sibal launches anti-ragging portal - Jul 26, 2012
- Dharamsala court to pronounce verdict in Kachroo murder case - Nov 11, 2010
- Dharamsala court finds all four guilty in Kachroo murder case - Nov 11, 2010
- Apex court orders action against college authorities for ragging - Mar 30, 2009
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts may return to college - Aug 23, 2012
- Supreme Court asks state govts to set up committees to prevent ragging - May 08, 2009
- Convicts freed early, ragging victim's father slams system - Aug 18, 2012
- Apex court cracks whip against ragging - Mar 16, 2009
- Kachru's college principal forced to retire a day earlier - Nov 07, 2010
- SC issues notice to Himachal, Andhra Govt. on ragging cases - Mar 16, 2009
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts set free before term - Aug 18, 2012
- Kachroo ragging death: Justice in suspended animation - Jul 17, 2012
- Aman Kachroo case: Himachal HC cancels bail of all accused - Jul 28, 2010
- Andhra student commits suicide, parents allege ragging - Jun 09, 2009
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: amicus, andhra pradesh government, apex court, asok kumar, chief secretaries, college principal, contempt notice, criminal case, educational institutions, ganguly, gopal, gross violation, himachal pradesh, medical science, national tragedy, ragging death, rajendra prasad, science student, solicitor general, subramaniam