SC slams Government for failing to act against tax evadersMarch 3rd, 2011 - 6:38 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar.3 (ANI): The Supreme Court slammed the Central Government today for failing to act against tax evaders and ordered the reinstatement of three key Enforcement Directorate officials who had been transferred midway into a probe, of a multi billion dollar money laundering case against Pune businessman Hassan Ali Khan.
A bench of Justice B Sudershan Reddy and Justice S S Nijjar said the apex court would be forced to appoint a special officer for supervising the probe against offenders, if the government failed to act.
The court criticized the government for failing to interrogate Khan and other alleged offenders, despite having sufficient evidence against them.
Khan, who is alleged to have stashed away around eight billion US dollars in foreign banks, had earlier been served a tax notice for Rupees 50,000 crore.
Expressing its disappointment, the bench remarked: ” There are instances when minor offenders are shot down for violating Section 144 CrPC, but you don’t take any action against these people. We are very sorry. All these people are now free.”
It then said it was unfortunate that the three key officials of the Enforcement Directorate investigating the black money scandal had been transferred midway into the investigation.
The bench has granted the Center time till Tuesday to file its response failing which it said the court would be forced to pass necessary orders.
While hearing a petition filed by noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani and some former bureaucrats, on the issue of black money stashed abroad by Indians and its repatriation, on February 10, the apex court had asked the government to ensure that Khan does not leave the country. (ANI)
- Hasan Ali gets IT tribunal notice in Black money case - Mar 04, 2011
- Black money case: Hasan Ali Khan detained by Enforcement Directorate - Mar 07, 2011
- ED arrests Hasan Ali, to be produced in court - Mar 08, 2011
- "I am a victim of political conspiracy", says Hasan Ali - Mar 08, 2011
- 'Consider special team to probe black money abroad' - Mar 18, 2011
- Supreme Court asks government's view on black money probe team - Apr 21, 2011
- SC criticizes Govt. for not probing source of black money - Mar 28, 2011
- Right to education law, spectrum scam top apex court's agenda - Mar 13, 2011
- Black money: Names will made public after cases filed (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Supreme Court ruling on money laundering probe Monday (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Supreme Court slams ED in black money case - May 04, 2011
- Black money: Government does not give names to court - Feb 09, 2011
- Don't politicise black money case: Apex court - Apr 08, 2011
- High-level committee to trail money laundering - Apr 25, 2011
- Black money case: Supreme Court asks Centre to consider setting up SIT - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, black money, bureaucrats, businessman, center time, central government, crpc, dollar money, enforcement directorate, foreign banks, hassan ali khan, interrogate, necessary orders, nijjar, ram jethmalani, reinstatement, repatriation, rupees, tax evaders