SC should take ‘pro-active’ steps in other cases like Gujarat riots: BJPMay 1st, 2009 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 1 (ANI): Welcoming the Supreme Court’s decision on the Gujarat riots cases, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday said the apex court should take similar “pro-active” steps for speedier justice in other cases, including the cases relating to the Bhagalpur riots, the 1984 Sikh carnage and the Ramjanama Bhoomi land dispute.
“We welcome the order of the Supreme Court as it will bring justice to victims of Godhra train carnage and the riots after the carnage,” said a party spokesperson, Prakash Javadekar.
“We hope that the Supreme Court will also take such pro-active steps for speedier justice in case of Bhagalpur riots, 1984 Sikh carnage and Ramjanma Bhoomi land dispute which is pending in courts for 50 years,” he added.
The reaction came after the apex court ordered a retrial of the Gujarat riots cases by fast track courts. The apex court also directed that the trial would not be shifted out of Gujarat.
Besides, it also ordered he filing of additional chargesheets against new accused named by the Special Investigating Team (SIT).
On April 27, the apex court asked the SIT to probe the role of 64 people, including that of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the cases.
The apex court order was passed in response to a petition filed by Congress parliamentarian Ehsaan Jaffery.
The court asked the SIT to submit the report within three months. (ANI)
- Gulberg Society case: Apex court verdict Monday - Sep 11, 2011
- Best Bakery killings: Four get life term, five acquitted - Jul 09, 2012
- It's official: Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre - Apr 10, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
- Verdict a huge step forward: Setalvad - Sep 12, 2011
- Badal seeks day-to-day trial of 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases - Mar 13, 2010
- Stop vilification campaign against Modi: BJP - Apr 10, 2012
- Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre (Roundup) - Apr 10, 2012
- Godhra riot case: Apex court affords Modi relief (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Advocate files contempt petition against Modi on Godhra remark - May 01, 2009
- Supreme Court stays trial of Sanjiv Bhatt (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Gujarat asks apex court to stop monitoring riots cases - Oct 11, 2011
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Trial judge to decide Zakia Jafri's plea: Apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- Timeline of Godhra train carnage case - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, bhagalpur riots, bharatiya janata party, carnage, chargesheets, chief minister, fast track, gujarat, land dispute, may 1, narendra modi, New Delhi, parliamentarian, party spokesperson, petition, prakash, retrial, sikh, three months