SC issues notices to transport secretaries over high-security number platesApril 7th, 2011 - 8:18 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 7 (ANI): The Supreme Court today issued contempt notices to transport secretaries of Delhi, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh over the failure of their respective governments in implementing high-security number plates and licenses for vehicles.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice S H Kapadia, which asked the transport secretaries of these states to file affidavits within four weeks, asked them to be personally present before it on the next date of hearing.
The apex court also why cost should not be imposed on them for their failure to introduce tamper-proof number plates and licenses for motor vehicles.
The Supreme Court, which was informed that the states of Sikkim, Meghalaya and Goa have fully implemented the scheme, asked the other states, who have initiated but not completely implemented the scheme, to complete the task within six weeks time.
The orders came on a petition filed by the Chairman of All-India Anti-Terrorist Front, M S Bitta, seeking court’s direction to introduce tamper-proof number plates and licenses for vehicles, contending that the present system is prone to misuse by anti-social elements. (ANI)
- Apex court pulls up states on high-security number plates - Aug 12, 2011
- Apex court pulls up three states on vehicle number plates - Aug 31, 2011
- Green signal for high-security number plates in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- After court order on Kolkata cabs, 'alternative' arrangements planned - Mar 31, 2012
- Kashmir gets high security number plates - Jun 11, 2012
- Tamper-proof number plates for vehicles soon - May 08, 2008
- Chandigarh, Punjab urged to use high security number plates - May 28, 2010
- Delhi government gets notice on high security registeration plates - Apr 11, 2012
- Tripura introduces high security vehicle number plates - Jul 30, 2012
- Now lower-value e-stamp papers in Delhi - Feb 06, 2012
- High security number plates for Haryana vehicles - Jul 12, 2012
- Hang Afzal Guru for Parliament attack, demand marchers - Dec 11, 2010
- Gurgaon steps up effort for high security number plates - Aug 01, 2012
- Court refuses to stay Delhi vehicle number plate drive (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Bitta condemns Akali Dal, Congress over Bhullar - May 31, 2011
Tags: affidavits, apex, apex court, bitta, chief justice, contempt, goa, high security, kapadia, meghalaya, motor vehicles, number plates, present system, proof number, punjab, secretaries, security number, sikkim, six weeks, social elements