SC issues notice to Himachal, Andhra Govt. on ragging casesMarch 16th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 16 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday issued notices to the Andhra Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh Government, on the death of first-year medical science student Aman Kachroo due to ragging, and an attempt-to-suicide case after a female student of Bapatla Agricultural and Engineering College was allegedly forced to dance nude by seniors.
The Court has asked the chief secretaries of the two states to file affidavits on the action they have taken to implement the anti-ragging measures ordered by the court in the last two years.
The Medical Council of India has been directed to investigate, whether doctors who attended the victims in respective hospitals, were negligent in giving medical help to the two students.
The apex court is scheduled to hear the cases on March 30.
Meanwhile, the director generals of the two states would submit their status reports on the two ragging cases within two weeks.
Nineteen-year-old Kachroo was mercilessly beaten to death by four senior doctors on March 8 at his Rajendra Prasad Medical College hostel in Himachal Pradesh’’s Kangra. The accused have been booked under section 302 of the Indian Penal Code.
The Supreme Court had issued a contempt notice to the two colleges as the incidents were in gross violation of the court’’s directives to check ragging in educational institutions.
The Prevention of the Ragging in Colleges and Institutions Bill was introduced in the Rajya Sabha in 2005. However, it is yet to become a law.
The Bill makes ragging punishable with imprisonment up to three years and a fine of Rs 25,000. (ANI)
- Aman Kachroo case: Himachal HC cancels bail of all accused - Jul 28, 2010
- Dharamsala court to pronounce verdict in Kachroo murder case - Nov 11, 2010
- Supreme Court asks state govts to set up committees to prevent ragging - May 08, 2009
- Dharamsala court finds all four guilty in Kachroo murder case - Nov 11, 2010
- Sibal launches anti-ragging portal - Jul 26, 2012
- Convicts freed early, ragging victim's father slams system - Aug 18, 2012
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts set free before term - Aug 18, 2012
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts may return to college - Aug 23, 2012
- SC likely to hear Kachroo murder case today - Mar 16, 2009
- SC suspends Kangra medical college principal over ragging death - Mar 30, 2009
- Andhra student commits suicide, parents allege ragging - Jun 09, 2009
- Kachroo ragging death: Justice in suspended animation - Jul 17, 2012
- Ragging accused sent to judicial custody - Aug 06, 2011
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: affidavits, andhra pradesh, apex court, chief secretaries, contempt notice, director generals, educational institutions, engineering college, gross violation, imprisonment, indian penal code, medical college, medical council of india, medical help, medical science, rajendra prasad, rajya sabha, science student, suicide case, two states