SC issues notice to ‘Big B’ on IT petitionMay 4th, 2009 - 6:44 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 4 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to actor Amitabh Bachchan on a petition filed by the Income Tax Department.
A bench headed by Justice S.S. Kapadia posted the matter for hearing on October 28.
The Income Tax department has questioned a Bombay High Court order for giving Bachchan respite from tax on his income from the popular TV game show ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’.
Bachchan, who hosted the show, had received tax exemption on 30 percent of his total income of Rs. 50.92 crore.
The actor has earlier asked the court to cut down on his tax under the Section 80 RR of the Income-Tax Act, considering that he was an artist.
The Income Tax department has asked the Bombay court to explain on what basis it gave the tax relief to Bachchan when, according to law, only those artists who earn by performing outside the country or receive payment from foreign agencies can be allowed to enjoy tax redemption.
The IT department argued that Bachchan was anchoring the show for Star India Ltd. and cannot be termed as an artist for his role in the programme. (ANI)
- Amitabh gets court notice on tax exemption - May 04, 2009
- Big B to host IPL 5 opening ceremony - Mar 19, 2012
- Amitabh wins 'distinguished personality' award - Jun 15, 2011
- Big B teams up with Shillong Chamber Choir - Sep 04, 2012
- Big B to host next season of KBC too? - Nov 12, 2010
- Small screen made Amitabh Big B: Dharmendra - Jul 08, 2011
- 'KBC 5' to go on air in August, Rohit Bal to design for Big B - May 05, 2011
- Amitabh's wall of fans gets new addition - Sep 07, 2011
- Sushil Kumar's act on 'Jhalak...' impresses Abhishek (With Images) - Jun 23, 2012
- Bihar's Sushil Kumar first to win Rs.5 crore on KBC-5 - Oct 25, 2011
- Amitabh Bachchan to host fourth edition of KBC - Jul 08, 2010
- Amitabh signs for two more seasons of 'KBC' - Jan 19, 2011
- KBC winner will be rural job scheme brand ambassador - Nov 14, 2011
- I had no films, no money before KBC: Big B remembers - Sep 29, 2010
- It's the 'bandhgala' for Big B in 'KBC 5' (With Images) - May 05, 2011
Tags: amitabh bachchan, bench, bombay high court, income tax act, income tax department, india ltd, kapadia, New Delhi, petition, popular tv, respite from, rr, rs 50, supreme court, tax exemption, tax redemption, tax relief, tv game show