SC grants four weeks time to Centre to file affidavit on Sethusamudram projectJanuary 31st, 2008 - 5:41 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Jan 31 (ANI): The Supreme Court has granted four weeks time to the Centre to file its affidavit on Sethusamudram project on Thursday.
Juctice K G Balakrishnan headed the bench.
Next hearing on the matter will be in the first week of March.
The Bharatiya Janata Party and other Hindu groups have called on the government to stop the Sethusamudram Ship Channel Project, saying it will demolish the mythical bridge linking India and Sri Lanka, believed to have been built by King Ram of Ayodhya.
Opposing the 560 million dollars project, the Hindu groups claim it would destroy the 48- kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka.
The Sethusamudram Project will dredge a channel along a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic.
According to the Central Government, the sand shoals were created by sedimentation.
Dredging for the project began in 2005 and the channel — 12 metres deep, 300 metres wide and almost 90 km long — will provide a crucial link between the Palk Bay and the Gulf of Mannar. (ANI)
- Jayalalithaa should approach competent authority on Ram Sethu: Supreme Court - Jan 28, 2008
- CCPA to take a final decision on Setusamudram affidavit - Feb 28, 2008
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Sethusamudram project to go ahead: Baalu - Nov 14, 2007
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- UPA Government will honour court verdict on Sethusamudram project: Jaiswal - Nov 14, 2007
- Hindus, Muslims join hands against Sethusamudram Project - Dec 13, 2007
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told - Jul 02, 2012
- Sethusamudram project will be completed by November 2008: Union Shipping Minister - Nov 14, 2007
- Indian Naval Chief says, Sethu Samundram is not good for big ships - Jan 22, 2008
- For Shiv Sainiks, UPA and Left leaders are Ravanas - Nov 14, 2007
Tags: affidavit, ayodhya, bench, bharatiya janata party, central government, channel 12, distances, freight traffic, grants, hindu groups, k g balakrishnan, kilometre, million dollars, narrow strip, palk bay, rameswaram, sedimentation, sethusamudram project, ship channel, sri lanka