SBI resumes farm implements loansMay 21st, 2008 - 10:29 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 21 (ANI): The State Bank of India on Wednesday went back on its decision to halt loans for purchasing farm implements, after severe criticism from political parties as well as farmers.
The bank withdrew its earlier circular that outlined suspension of financing of new tractors and farm mechanisation equipment with immediate effect.
“We regret that our circular (asking SBI branches to put tractor loans on hold)… has been misunderstood and has given rise to concern. The circular is withdrawn with immediate effect,” SBI Chairman O P Bhatt said in a statement here.
On Friday, SBI had issued a circular to its branches asking them to stop disbursals of new tractor loans, citing rising bad loans in this segment.
This decision of the country`s largest agri-lender, drew protests from across the country.
SBI has the largest farm loan portfolio amongst lenders in the country and in the period between April 2004 to March 2008, SBI financed 42 lakh new farmers.
Disbursements during this period aggregated to around Rs 70,000 crore.
Bhatt also said that the bank wanted to sensitise its branches to reduce the NPAs for the bank and also to help farmers take advantage of the Rs 60,000 crore waiver programme of the government.
He also said that the banks non-performing assets (NPAs) in the agriculture sector had risen significantly in the past year. (ANI)
- SBI profit more than doubles to Rs.3,751.56 crore - Aug 10, 2012
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2012
- Public sector banks' NPAs rise to 2.31 percent - Aug 16, 2011
- Problems will be resolved once investment is revived: FM - Aug 18, 2012
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM - Aug 18, 2012
- SBI will accelerate foreign expansion: New chief - Apr 08, 2011
- Pranab asks banks to improve asset quality - Jun 17, 2011
- SBI net profit rises 14 percent at Rs.2,828 crore - Jan 22, 2011
- SBI quarterly net profit rises 12.4 percent - Nov 09, 2011
- SBI to approach Moody's for review and re-rating - May 18, 2012
- SBI eyes more branches in Bangladesh - Nov 14, 2011
- 'Delayed monsoon to affect credit offtake in farm sector' - Jul 09, 2012
- HDFC Bank Q4 profit up 30 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- SBI stock plunges on talk of loan to Kingfisher - Feb 22, 2012
- HDFC Bank third quarter net profit up 31.2 percent - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: agri, agriculture sector, bank of india, disbursements, farm implements, farm loan, farm mechanisation, farmers, lakh, lenders, loan portfolio, new tractors, non performing assets, npas, p bhatt, political parties, protests, segment, state bank, state bank of india