Sarbjit Singhs family hopes to celebrate Diwali together at homeOctober 6th, 2008 - 8:47 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar, October 6 (ANI): Family of Sarabjit Singh, the Indian prisoner in Pakistan jail on death roll, is eagerly looking forward to celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights, together in India.
Despite the meeting of Pakistani Law minister, Farooq H. Naek, with Sarabjit Singh at Lahore’’s Kot Lakhpat Jail on Monday, there is uncertainty about his future. Some reports stated that the Pakistans Law minister after meeting Sarbjit Singh said that he visited Sarbjit Singh to examine the case and he will convey his news to the President and Prime minister of Pakistan for reviewing Sarabjits request for clemency on humanitarian grounds.
Sukhpreet, the wife of Sarbajit Singh, meanwhile urged both Indian and Pakistani governments to speed up the procedure to ensure his early release, as he has been lodged for last several years for the crime which he did not commit.
My husband is innocent. I am praying and hoping that we will be able to celebrate Diwali together this time, Sukhpreet said.
Sarbjit is facing death sentence since 1990 and has been facing terrorism charges. His family, however, claims that he has become a victim of mistaken identity.
Sarabjit was to be initially hanged on April 1, but former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf deferred his execution. (ANI)
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Soni appeals for Sarabjit's release - Jun 27, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Government should explain Sarabjit confusion: BJP - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: amritsar, april 1, clemency, death roll, death sentence, diwali, facing death, farooq, festival of lights, humanitarian grounds, lahore, last several years, law minister, mistaken identity, naek, october 6, pervez musharraf, prime minister of pakistan, ravinder singh, terrorism charges