Saravana Bhavan founder gets life term in murder caseMarch 19th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Mar 19 (ANI): The Madras High Court on Thursday awarded a life sentence to P. Rajagopal, the founder of the Saravana Bhavan hotel chain.
Rajagopal, 59, was found guilty for murdering one of his employees, Prince Shantakumar, in 2001.
A bench comprising Justices P. K. Mishra and R. Banumathi announced the verdict on Rajagopal and six others in response to an appeal filed by the government to enhance on punishment for the accused in the case.
Rajagopal was earlier sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by a local court.
The court also increased his conviction from culpable homicide not amounting to murder, to culpable homicide amounting to murder.
Rajagopal had also been accused of sexually harassing Shantakumars widow, Jeevajothi.
Rajagopal is the founder of the Saravana Bhavan chain of hotels and restaurants, popular for their range of South Indian dishes, especially idlis and dosas. (ANI)
- Saravana Bhavan founder gets life for murder - Mar 19, 2009
- Saravana Bhavan founder gets life for murdering employee (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Hotel chief surrenders days after life term for murder - Mar 23, 2009
- Ex-naval officer found guilty of TV executive's killing - Jun 30, 2011
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Bhopal gas tragedy: CBI seeks review of apex court verdict - Aug 02, 2010
- Man sentenced to life for killing sister-in-law - Jul 18, 2012
- Court awards 10-year jail to man for killing wife - Aug 08, 2012
- Apex court issues notices to Bhopal tragedy convicts (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- Kachroo ragging death: Justice in suspended animation - Jul 17, 2012
- Window to appeal still open at Bhopal court: CBI - May 11, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects CBI plea to reopen Bhopal case (Second Lead) - May 11, 2011
- TV executive murder case convict refused bail - Dec 20, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy convicts get Supreme Court notice (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- Bihar legislator murder: Court grants bail to editor - Apr 28, 2011